Question

Internal error occurred -5 after 11.32.35 upgrade

• 9 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

I am getting “Internal error occurred -5” on Readiness Check on several clients after the 11.32.35 upgrade. Backup seems to be working still, but we can’t have this “false positive” alert every day.
(Upgrade was done 4 days ago, so I don’t think it is something that will go away “by itself”.)

We have tried restarting the commvault services on the clients, also the commvault repair option. No improvement.

Anyone know what could be the cause? 

🖖

7 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

Do you see any error in CvNetCheck.log under Log files folder on the Commserver immediately after running the readiness?

Thanks

Prakash

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @No special characters 

In most cases, When you run Check Readiness on a client, it fails with Internal error occurred -5.

1. Communication failure between CommServe and Client . Error returned is: Internal error occurred -5.

file

Cause

Internal Error: -5 means a certificate related error either there is no active certificate or invalid if there is an active one exist. You will need to re-generate a new certificate to resolve the issue.

We can try the below Resolution

1. Stop all CV servies on a client
2. From the destination CommCell Console ribbon, click the Home tab, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Certificate Administration.
4. In the Certificate Administrator dialog box, click Temp Certificate.
5. From the Client Name list, select the name of the new client you created and then click Create.
   The client certificate is generated and appears in the text box.

Note : Revoke a certificate if an active certificate already exist

6. Click Copy to Clipboard to copy the contents of the certificate to the Windows clipboard.
7. Paste the contents into a new file, and save it as export.txt.
8. Delete all files/folders on the software_installation_directory/Base/certificates folder if any exist.
    Then copy export.txt to the software_installation_directory/Base/certificates folder

Note : default location is C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\certificates

9. Restart CV services on the client
10. Run Check Readiness to verify if the issue is resolved.

Doc: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/creating_temporary_certificate_for_client_installation_02.htmlfile

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello,

Do you see any error in CvNetCheck.log under Log files folder on the Commserver immediately after running the readiness?

Thanks

Prakash

Thank you - Good to know I can check this log in the future. Very useful.
I am not seeing any errors. Setting debug level to 10 did not show any errors.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello @No special characters 

In most cases, When you run Check Readiness on a client, it fails with Internal error occurred -5.

1. Communication failure between CommServe and Client . Error returned is: Internal error occurred -5.

file

Cause

Internal Error: -5 means a certificate related error either there is no active certificate or invalid if there is an active one exist. You will need to re-generate a new certificate to resolve the issue.

I also found this KB about error -5 and certificate. I only have access to the clients through the customer, so I can’t stop the commvault services whenever I like.
I can restart the commvault services from the console, if that helps..?

What is troubling is that we have never had to deal with this before when upgrading the commserve.
This was a small upgrade, 11.32.23 to 11.32.35, so I actually cant understand  why it would happen this round.
We do not use any special certificate configuration. It has just been handled by the commvault software.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @No special characters ,

With the statement, I can only assume that during upgrade, there might either be a network glitch or some unknow error. Can you perform the below:

From CommCell console, under Control panel, find Certificate Administrator and locate the client in question and check the status.

Example:

To revoke certificate, we will need access to the client 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@No special characters , check this 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@No special characters , check this 

I would but I do not have access  🥹