Skip to main content

A customer would like to use  direct attached (SAS) LTO drive. Ist it possible ? I didn’t find how to configure it.

Thank you

Jiri.

Yes. Just directly connect it to your scsi bus.

Hello, thanks for reply. The drive is connected to a Solaris SPARC machine and can be used by operating system. But installed media agent doesn’t find ist as a tape davice.

If it’s recognized by the system (OS) then it should be detected.

Yeah it’s pretty straightforward, the reason I can’t give any more details is because I have not done this is years.

The process though is pretty basic, the controller in the case of a standalone drive is not analogous to anything,  as far as I understand it, its just a logical container. 

When you have a library there is an actual controller with an assigned scsi ID that Commvault communicates with, but in the case of a standalone drive its just a fake controller. 

There is some log that will give you excruciating details, but I have not done this in some years, but again as @Laurent  mentioned if the OS sees it, it should just work.

That’s the pleasure of proprietary OSes… (joking)

I don’t have SolarisOS available to check, but I’d recommend to make sure from the OS itself you are able to see the drive and the tape.

I would have thought about ‘lsscsi’ command, but this OS beeing uncommon it may not be the right command. I don’t even know if you need to add a driver to this OS to be able to manage such device..

Then as you mention it’s usable from the OS, make sure the user used for MA installation has enough rights to access this device in the OS. 

Then when trying to go to Expert Storage configuration / select the MA, Detect/Configure Devices, you should have the logs. If not, you need to log into the MA, nagivate to the Commvault MA logs, and see CVMA.log, LibraryOperation.log (or Libraryname.log) for troubleshooting… Good luck.. 🤞