Skip to main content

I have a media agent (no jobs going to it) that’s also hosting the webserver/console.  I’ve been informed of 2 java installs on this server and am being asked if they can be removed.  There is no Java console installed, but there is an installed product “Commvault Contentstore” as well as MS SQL server things installed for 2008 → 2012, and a MongoDB.  I’m not sure if these were part of some older Commvault products, or just something else some admin installed for some reason.

it appears there’s a running commvault related SQL Server agent (“SQLAgent$Commvault” windows service) as well as a running “MSSQL$COMMVAULT” Windows service, but I cannot see any MS SQL related things in the Java console attached to this media agent (as a clinet/subclient)… so what’s the database for?

There’s also these running Windows services (and some others commvault related, but these stood out):

GxTomcatInstance001 - the webserver I presume, though IIS is also running?

GxMONGO(Instance001) - I have no idea what this is.. what's using a mongo db?

in the command shell, the settings indicate this, so it seems this is at least the “java programs are using) as the older java is also installed in the same location of “C:\Program Files\Java”

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121
JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121

but there’s also this (in %PATH%) C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_1319369021

which has a “java” executable (and some other java files: javaw, javaws, which look like web related javas?

Hi @tigger2 

Commvault doesn’t rely on Oracle Java any longer as we deploy Adopt OpenJDK binaries found within the  directory: “Commvault\contentstore\JRE”.

Tomcat is used for WebConsole and Command Center access, but may be installed for some other packages as well.

Since you have a SQL Server instance on this server this is likely serving as the web server, Web Console or both. Web Server creates the database DM2 and private metrics creates the CVCLOUD database.