Skip to main content

Hello,

I am still tryin to get used to server plans. Consider the following requirements:

• weekly full backups on Fridays
  • incrementals on the other days of the week

If I create a server plan, with a 1 week retention, I understand it will run a synth full every 7 days. but when? will it be on Friday? Can I control this via backup window?

If I do not have a full backup windows defined in the plan, synth fulls are controlled by the backup window as the incrementals?

Regards,

Pedro

Hi @PedroRocha ,

Can you check this Post for a similar question:

Best Regards,

Sebastien

@PedroRocha 

To ensure that synthetic full runs on preferred day of week, you can use Blackout Window for Synthetic full operation at Global System, Company or Server group levels.

Creating a Blackout Window (commvault.com)

Hi @PedroRocha ,

Best Regards,

Sebastien

So, you would suggest me to change the automatically created synth full schedule from automatic to manual and indicate it to run weekly?

@PedroRocha

To ensure that synthetic full runs on preferred day of week, you can use Blackout Window for Synthetic full operation at Global System, Company or Server group levels.

Creating a Blackout Window (commvault.com)

So, if there's an automatic synth full schedule to run every seven days, I would create a blackout window excluding sat-thu, so it would run on friday?

Hi @PedroRocha ,

Best Regards,

Sebastien

So, you would suggest me to change the automatically created synth full schedule from automatic to manual and indicate it to run weekly?

Hello,

I was wondering if you managed to solve this and how? Our customer wants to use only the Command Center and we cannot find a way of configuring manual synthetic fulls in order to avoid an automatic full running only when the retention expires… 

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sergio

Hi @PedroRocha ,

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Hello,

I was wondering if you managed to solve this and how? Our customer wants to use only the Command Center and we cannot find a way of configuring manual synthetic fulls in order to avoid an automatic full running only when the retention expires… 

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sergio

I have the same situation, no way to set syn full schedule in the command center. It has to be automatic and then you have to select the black out window. In 11.36 there is supposed to be a setting to allow you to select syn fulls to automatically run monthly/yearly.. For now, you have to use the commcell console to manually schedule your syn fulls on the days you want them. 

It makes no sense why Commvault woudn’t just include syn fulls in plans so we can configure it per our company/customer standards. Especially if they are trying to get everyone to use the command center and move away from the commcell console. Infuriating to say the least.