Solved

Is there any downside to enabling table level backups?

• 5 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

This is with respect to Oracle clients.

This feature is disabled by default, I would assume that there must be a reason as table level restores seems to be an awesome feature.

Seems like a huge pro.

What are the cons?

icon

Best answer by Sunil 6 April 2024, 01:51

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes, this is a very useful feature when you need to restore only one or a few tables due to logical errors or corruptions.

However, the downside is the additional processing time and storing index during backup to collect and backup the table metadata. This is required to be able to browse at the table level and restore.

Thanks,

Sunil

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for the response, is there a rule of thumb that can be used to determine the effects on backup times and indexing size?

What I am trying to understand is how dramatic is the change 5%, 10%, 50%?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Not much though. The table metadata size isn’t proportional to the size of the database. And it’s not straight forward to predict. A very small DB can have a complex schema with many objects (possibly grow in the future). And a huge DB can have fairly simple schema with a handful of objects.

Either case, I wouldn’t expect more than or even close to 5% change.

Thanks,

Sunil

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Not much though. The table metadata size isn’t proportional to the size of the database. And it’s not straight forward to predict. A very small DB can have a complex schema with many objects (possibly grow in the future). And a huge DB can have fairly simple schema with a handful of objects.

Either case, I wouldn’t expect more than or even close to 5% change.

Thanks,

Sunil

Awesome.

Thanks Sunil.