Question

M365 on premise index server

• 19 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

we are currently implementing M365 Backup on premise and I have some questions regarding the server components.

I already found the other thread with a kinda similar topic and it helped, but not with everything.

We are going to get new VMs as Access Nodes but for the index servers I was thinking about using our existing Media Agents. We are not planning on doing Context Indexing.

So the question is: is that adviseable? We definitely have enough CPU/RAM Resources and our Index Cache SSDs have about 2TB free as well.

Since most of our backups run during the night we could do the M365 ones during the day and so not cannibalize ressources, except for the disk. But there we can always add an additional one if mixing M365 and non-M365 Indexes is not advisable on the same disk.

Also, how many nodes should a Index Server have?

Regarding Access Nodes:

We want to do Exchange, Teams, Sharpoint and One Drive. Do we need dedicated Access Nodes for each part? Or is it possible to do, let’s say, four and use all them for everything.

Thank you in advance for your Input and have a nice weekend!

Kind Regards,

Jakob

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @JakobL 

In terms of Index Servers, this does entirely depend on the size of the environment being protected here.

Some information can be found here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/hardware_recommendations_for_index_server.html

If you’re only performing Backup and Restore (No content Indexing) then you could just start with the one machine and monitor its utilisation.

In terms of Access Nodes, I suspect the same machine(s) can be leveraged.
I’d suggest reviewing the performance requirements since running all jobs at the same time may consume a good amount of resources. - I’d suggest monitoring that also.

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +1

Hi Michael,

thank you for your response.

Regarding Index Servers:

So if I understand you correctly a new index server is mandatory and using the existing MediaAgents for M365 indexing as well is not recommended. Right?

We usually go for redundancy. So are the Index Server nodes for load balancing only? Or can one Index Server take over the responsibility of another, if it goes down?

Regarding Access Nodes:

Does CommVault do a dynamic resource allocation for all access nodes configured to the M365-Backup? If so I’d just take 4 VMs and configure all of them to do everything and CommVault can sort it out how it dispatches the jobs.

Kind Regards,

Jakob