Skip to main content
Question

Merge clients

• 20 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Hello

Is it possible to merge two clients with two different client identifiers?

We installed two agents, File&System and SQL, on a server using the FQDN for both host name and display name. The server is run in Azure. “servername.domain.com”

Then after a while we added that server to virtual backup. When we did this it ended up with just the name of the server as client identifier. “servername”.

This resulted that we now have 2 clients in commcell for the same server.

So the question is, can I use the Merge Clients workflow to merge them?

Or is it to uninstall and reinstall to solve this?

BR

Henke

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello @Henke 

The uninstall and reinstall wont achieve anything as the software installed is pointing to your FQDN client and nothing else. 

Can you please advise your CV version please?

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello @Albert Williams 

Thanks for your reply.

Version is 11.32.43

//Henke

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello @Henke 

Its important to know what these two clients are in the GUI to understand why there are there.

The FQDN is you software instance that you have installed directly onto the server and it has registered into the CommCell. 

The VM level one is not a client and a good way to think about it is its a subclient to your VMware level backup. You have turned on “show virtual machines” when you right click Client Computers » customize view. Doing this will show all the VM’s that have been protected as their own separate client to make restores easier but in reality they are all protected and associated under your Virtual client. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Albert Williams, yes I am aware of the differences and what they represent.

That doesen’t explain why for one client with same setup the virtual “pseudo” client is underneth the client in the structure and for another there are two clients, one with native agents one with the virtual agent on it.

So the question remains, would a merge clients work?

//Henke

Badge +3

Hi,

You can go to VM client properties and edit host name. Add the same host name (servername.domain.com) which is available in the Agent. Commvault will identify and merge it automatically.

I tried in the past.

Mani

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi

there is a workflow in the store. The handling is a little bit weird, but it works.

The workflow requires the the “agents” in the two clients are different , i.e. virtual server in the first and filesystem + database in the second. This merge is affecting the licensing! 

Badge +3

Just run:

qoperation execscript -sn QS_SetVMClient -si Servername -si servername.domain.com

This will move the Virtual Server Agent from one Client to another. Only works if the destination client doesn’t have an VM Agent.