Question

Migrating to a new hardware and Commvault version

• 25 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +7

Planning to move the existing Commvault appliance to a new hardware with bigger disks and SSD’s.Some  questions:

1. Current version is CV Version: 11 SP16 HPK17, shall I move to 2022E or 2023E?
  2. In the Hardware Refresh Procedure,it is mentioned that the local mount path should be copied to a location accessible to the new server. The size of the local mount path is 10TB. I plan to copy the contents to the new server’s disk library. Copying will be done over the network and I believe it will take some time to complete, so my question is, should I copy over the mount path before i do the CV installation in the new server? What is recommended approach?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @ElmerT 

It is not recommend to use Windows Copy\Paste to move the data. If the current path is an ISCSI target, you can simply migrate the target to the new MediaAgent and then give that MediaAgent access to it through the mount path properties. If it is a locally attached disk, it would be best to Aux Copy the data from the current library to a new library.

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +7

Thanks for the reply Collin. 

Just to clarify, the “move mount path” mentioned in the Commserve Hardware Refresh procedure will not work in this scenario?

Can you point me to a procedure for doing aux copy from 1 library to another?

Thanks.

Badge +7

One more thing, what about the DDB, can it be copied using WIndows copy/paste to the new server?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @ElmerT 

The Move Mount Path will work in any scenario that you want to move the data on storage to different storage hardware or a different location. Depending on the current setup and requirements you may have several options but yes, the Move is always an option.

To aux copy the data to a new library you will need to create a new library and then a new copy under the policy you wish to move the data. Then run the aux copy.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

One more thing, what about the DDB, can it be copied using WIndows copy/paste to the new server?

I wouldn’t recommend moving a DDB using Copy/Paste. there is a process for 11.16 detailed here in documentation to move the DDB:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=12576.htm