Skip to main content

Hi Commvault gurus,

I have a couple of simple questions regarding the tapes:

When moving a tape manually to Export location, (right click on the tape -> EXPORT media -> marked New Outside Storage Location -> OK), is the tape travelling via I/E by default? I am asking because in CV, there are No Items to display under I/E Ports tab. Could it mean that CV cant see any I/E ports? However, the move to Export location has been succesfull.

Secondly, I would like to be sure, if it is possible to move a tape with unaged data from Export location back to the library in the Commvault gui. Under options when right clicked on the tape I didnt see option Move to Library. Is it necessary to wait for data to be aged?

When moving a tape manually to Export location, (right click on the tape -> EXPORT media -> marked New Outside Storage Location -> OK), is the tape travelling via I/E by default? I am asking because in CV, there are No Items to display under I/E Ports tab. Could it mean that CV cant see any I/E ports? 

When you perform an Export the tape should be moving from the Slot to the I/E port to be physically removed. For the screenshot, we can see the I/E port but No Items to display means it’s empty. For example - if you export a tape from Slot 1, the tape should be removed from Slot 1 to the I/E port. Once this is completed, Commvault should show an empty Slot 1 and the Tape in the I/E port. Is this not what you are seeing?

Secondly, I would like to be sure, if it is possible to move a tape with unaged data from Export location back to the library in the Commvault gui. Under options when right clicked on the tape I didnt see option Move to Library. Is it necessary to wait for data to be aged?

Is this tape physically in the library? There’s no requirement for only aged tapes to be in the Library, in most cases inserting a tape into the Library will trigger a scan and we’ll update the GUI (you may need to wait and F5 a few times if you just inserted the tape)

Hi @Matt Medvedeff ,

thank you so much for your quick answer.

After the discussion with the library support it seems, that there are no I/E slots configured on the library. Followingly, Commvault cant see them and it cant be displayed in the gui. Therefore, to move further, we need to create I/E with available slots on the library.