Solved

Multiple Backup Copies for the same Snap Job

• 28 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +15

CV 11.32.43

Recently upgraded from 28 to 32 and immediately noticed more than a single backup job running for the same snapshot.

A little more context -  Run a full snapshot job on a VCenter Client, then a Backup Copy. Job started no problem.

Few hours later, the automatic scheduled kicked in and another backup copy job on top of the one I started manually started as well (two running simultaneously for the same snap) - the new job, picked the VMs that were still waiting on the first job.

While looking at the FR11.32 documentation I found the link below. Can someone confirm that this is correct link for what I`m experiencing?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/managing_backups_based_on_snapshot_retention.html

If so, the article mentioned additional setting keys at the CommCell or Client / Group level which were never entered, would this be automatically turned on after the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Albert Williams 29 February 2024, 00:00

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello Dude,

Thanks for the great question! The documentation article you linked is about picking the fist snapshot only but what you are describing is different to that. 

When a backup copy job runs it will go ahead and start moving the snapshots over, if a second job runs it cannot select the same data that is already actively being copied but if there is data schedule to be moved and not being picked by the original job it will go ahead and do what it has to do.

it sounds like your schedule is to aggressive causing double ups in jobs. This also does not seem to be related to the FR upgrade and maybe something you only just noticed? Not sure on that one. 

Sorry that this does not really answer your question but as long as they don't select the same data you can run 100 backup copies. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +15

That is interesting. Did not notice the same behavior before FR11.32 but like you said, as long as it is not the same data.

What I have experienced is as follows when it comes to VSA;

• Backup copy 12345 starts
    • Picks a Parent Snapsjob pending for copy. Automatically all of those child jobs are "owned or copying in progress" by the job 12345 while it is running.
  • If a new job started manually or by scheduled were triggered, it would look at the copy and nothing would happen since all those had already being picked by the job 12345

What I did noticed now is that though the Backup Copy 12345 started, child jobs that have not started yet still show "To Be Copied" under the storage policy copy but it also shows waiting on the list of VMs on the job details for Backup copy 12345. So in following the example, in my case a continuous backup copy scheduled started and it picked the ones that were not being copied by BC12345.

That is definitely a interesting/"new"  behavior to me - we run tons of Backups Copies every day and I never seen this before.

Thanks for taking the time