Solved

NDMP Multi Streaming Criteria

• 21 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

We have NDMP Multi Streaming backups enabled, however, not all subclients meet the criteria, specifically the directory size over 20GB factor;

Multi Stream: Successfully determined contents of path [<info_redacted>]. FileCount:[32] DirectoryCount:[3204]

1632  12dc  10/10 12:31:41 3127 Multi Stream: Volume [<info_redacted>] with size [4498793623552] and directory count [3204] has average directory size [1404117860.034956] less than [20 GB] (21474836480 bytes).Will be run on single stream as traditional NDMP backup.

Is there an additional setting that allows the criteria to be ignored and thus multi stream?

I am thinking sNDMPUseNetAppAutoStream , however, I believe this is just to overwrite the Java GUI settings and force Multi Streaming on subclients where it has not been enabled from the subclient properties.

Thanks in advanced

icon

Best answer by MsP 22 October 2021, 11:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello Msp,

The setting is implemented at the commserve level which means it would enable multi streaming across all the subclients using NDMP protocol. This is designed for environments where there are several NDMP clients and multiple subclients underneath them. This setting will make it so that you dont have to go to each subclient and enable the multi streaming checkbox.

With that said though, this is simply enabling the option to run multi stream backups an will still adhere to the limitations of multi streaming. If the directory size is under 20 GB, the backup will still only run using 1 stream regardless of the setting.

Below is a description of the setting for your reference:

“NDMP Multi-streaming is to multi-stream NDMP backup within a content path.This feature is applicable only for NetApp C-Mode clients. We enable NDMP Multi-streaming by default for newly created NetApp C-Mode subclients from SP19. This can be enabled for existing subclients by setting the Java GUI subclient advanced option "Allow multiple data readers within a content path".
However, if customers want to override the GUI subclient level setting and enable/disable the feature for all of the subclients for the client, they could do so using this additional setting.”

Regards

Badge +2

Hi Harsh,

Thanks for your reply @Harsh Desai , however, it doesn't really answer my question which was;

Is there an additional setting that allows the criteria to be ignored and thus multi stream?

Based on your answer however I am assuming the answer to my question is ‘No’?

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello Msp,

That is correct. There are no additional settings that will ignore the criteria and allow the job to run with multiple streams even if the criteria are not met.

Regards