Skip to main content

looking for documentation/information on service account to be use for NDMP backup using Netapp array.

the setup is as follows:
Netapp array is connected to the tape library
Tape library connected to the array is to be the storage for the backup
Media Agent is to be the NDMP server and will manage the storage of the backup to the array

I need some links to documentation/information on the following:
1. permissions/privilege/roles needed to be added to the service account to be use for NDMP backup
2. the user will be a domain user service account so will need permissions/roles from the domain for the service account

any other information required to fulfill this requirements
thanks for any information provided

Hi match123,

the NDMP account, role, and permission configuration that is required for managing a tape library or tape drives attached to a NetApp Filer or Cluster must be configured on the NetApp system itself. Commvault will just use that account for authentication and for getting access, but assigning roles and permissions to that account is done within Data ONTAP. Basically, there are no specific access permissions required from Commvault side as the NetApp specific permissions for accessing NDMP devices (disks and tapes) and for reading from and writing to them are sufficient. However, in the past, NetApp recommended using the Filer’s root account for NDMP backup and restore as well as for managing Filer-attached tape devices. 

As far as I know NetApp also allows using an external LDAP account for NDMP login to the Filer, but in fact, that account is mapped to a Filer-internal account in Data ONTAP (if they didn’t change that during the last years). But that’s all I can say from a Commvault perspective.

Please refer to the NetApp documentation for creating/configuring user/service accounts for NDMP backups including access to locally/SAN-attached tape drives and libraries:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/ndmp/configure-backup-user-cluster-task.html

https://kb.netapp.com/on-prem/ontap/DP/NDMP/NDMP-KBs/How_to_enable_and_configure_NDMP_Authentication

Hope that helps a bit.