Solved

OneDrive backup, active vs inactive data.

• 4 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

Hope someone can help me understand the OneDrive Active vs Inactive data. 

Not so long ago, we migrated our users over to Microsoft O365, and activated backup of Exchange Online, OneDrive, sharepoint and Teams. 

For OneDrive vi had about 23TB of data for about 22.5K users.   And under Protect > Office365 we could see the “Backup Size” and same with a Dashboard element showing top 5 largest servers.   OneDrive was one of our largest servers.   

But about two weeks ago the OneDrive storage dropped from almost 24TB and down to 2.52TB. 

When i go to OneDrive in Commandcenter and look at “Details” under Backup Stats, i can see that Active size is 2.52TB and Innactive is 21.94TB.  

From the Microsoft 365 admin console i can see no problems. 

So my question is regarding the Active and Inactive data.   Might this be that the 2.52TB is data that has been changed since the last backup, and inactive is old unchanged data?  Or is it that the inactive data is actual data commvault think has been deleted?  

What will happen to the Inactive data when the retention expires? 

Hope someone can help me explain this situation. 

Best regards,

Magnus Frøyseth

icon

Best answer by Albert Williams 4 December 2023, 23:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @Magnus Frøyseth 

Thanks for the great question!

Active data

• Active data is all Microsoft 365 (M365) data that is being protected in the customer’s M365 tenant.
    • E.g, a M365 entity such as OneDrive docs, Exchange emails, SharePoint sites, or Teams channels present in the source M365 tenant.

Inactive data

• Inactive data can be any of the following:
    • Data deleted from the source location: This user’s data is included in Metallic backups but deleted from the M365 source tenant.
      • E.g., a OneDrive doc that was deleted in the source tenant after it was backed up into Commvault. The data remains in Commvaultuntil it meets the retention criteria for removal.
    • A user who has left the company: After a user leaves a company (they must be deleted from Active Directory), all their backed-up data is considered inactive and remains in Commvault until it meets the retention criteria for removal. E.g., a previously backed up user leaves the organization. All their backup data will be available for retrieval for the specified period.

Deleted Item Retention

M365 data which is deleted in the user’s source tenant, but is being protected within Commvault, will remain in the backup for retrieval until the period specified in your plan. Administrators can adjust the retrieval period for deleted data using the “Retain deleted items for” setting in the M365 plan.

• E.g. If the deleted itemretention is 2190 days, then a OneDrive doc deleted in a source tenant will be available for restore for 2190 days from date of deletion.

Please advise if this answers your questions!

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +1

Hello Albert, and thank you for the detailed explanation. 

This was as i expected, but now i have to find out why Commvault is marking so much of our active OneDrive data as inactive.  I will dig a bit deeper and try to understand what is going on here.   And if i get stuck i might post another question regarding this case. 

Thank you again, 

Regards,

Magnus frøyseth