Skip to main content

Hi all, 

Currently user is running v11 SP25, Oracle backup was running fine until user upgraded Oracle firmware and hence the Full backup hit the abnormal behavior, failed and resumed and backup size will grow up to 33tb (actual DB size is 5tb)

I am not sure what is causing this issue, from logs I only manage to identified that connection was 

15873 460e 02/19 13:15:23 1336308 CCvNetworkServer::ReadThread() - Could not peek for data format. Error:'0xFFFFFFFF:{CCvNetwork::PeekDataFormat(6495)} + 

Just wondering if it was network issue it should not be able to run backup at all. I have attached some logs, appreciate if anyone could share some idea which part to check on. Thanks.

Attched logs and screenshot for reference. Thanks.

ClOraAgent.txt

job 1339028.txt

rman logs.txt

ORASBT.txt

Attached ORASBT log. I am not too sure what is causing the issue. 

@Lee Soon Hoong,

It appears the backup had completed successfully, but the release channel was timing out and the job restarting.
The backup size that you see in the job details is the sum of all the attempts. It is not the actual size of the database.

Can you add the below registry key to the oracle client and run a new backup?

Registry key name: sRMANWAITSECS
Category: OracleAgent
Type: STRING​
Value: 86400

--The registry key will give more time to rman for releasing the channels so that backup won't restart.

Please let me know in case of any questions.

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Im having the same situation! Opened a Service Request at Commvault / Oracle but still no solution. sRMANWAITSECS worked for you?

Regards,

Daemon

@Lee Soon Hoong,

It appears the backup had completed successfully, but the release channel was timing out and the job restarting.
The backup size that you see in the job details is the sum of all the attempts. It is not the actual size of the database.

Can you add the below registry key to the oracle client and run a new backup?

Registry key name: sRMANWAITSECS
Category: OracleAgent
Type: STRING​
Value: 86400

--The registry key will give more time to rman for releasing the channels so that backup won't restart.

Please let me know in case of any questions.

Hi Mahender Reddy,

Thanks for your feedback, the backup back to normal without doing anything, it looks like issue on Oracle as per ur feedback. 

I will proceed to add on the registry key to see if it could prevent the backup to restart over and over again in the next few Full backup. Appreciate your valuable feedback

Thanks and regards,

Lee

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Im having the same situation! Opened a Service Request at Commvault / Oracle but still no solution. sRMANWAITSECS worked for you?

Regards,

Daemon

Hi DDaemon,

I have not tried the registry, backup back to normal without doing anything, seems to be issue on Oracle server. I will proceed with the registry, probably you could give it a try. 

Thanks,

Lee

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Regards,

Daemon

Hi DDaemon,

I have not tried the registry, backup back to normal without doing anything, seems to be issue on Oracle server. I will proceed with the registry, probably you could give it a try. 

Thanks,

Lee

Hi  @Lee Soon Hoong  nothing done on Oracle Server? Not even a bounce? Started working back from nothing?

Thanks!

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Regards,

Daemon

Hi DDaemon,

Thanks,

Lee

Hi  @Lee Soon Hoong  nothing done on Oracle Server? Not even a bounce? Started working back from nothing?

Thanks!

Hi DDaemon,

Yes nothing was done on Oracle server.

I did restart cv services but the backup was still failing.

I have restarted cv services for 2 or 3 times and last attempt went successful without touching anything on Oracle server.

Thanks, 

Lee

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Regards,

Daemon

Hi DDaemon,

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks!

Hi DDaemon,

I have restarted cv services for 2 or 3 times and last attempt went successful without touching anything on Oracle server.

Thanks, 

Lee

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong , solution provided by Mahender Reddy solved the issue!! Increasing timeout to release channels. Somehow the default value is not enough.

Thank you!!!

Daemon

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Regards,

Daemon

Hi DDaemon,

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks!

Hi DDaemon,

Thanks, 

Lee

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong , solution provided by Mahender Reddy solved the issue!! Increasing timeout to release channels. Somehow the default value is not enough.

Thank you!!!

Daemon

Hi @Lee Soon Hoong,

Regards,

Daemon

Hi DDaemon,

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks!

Hi DDaemon,

Thanks, 

Lee

Thank you!!!

Daemon

HI Daemon, 

Glad the solution provided by Mahnder Reddy solved the issue. I have placed the registry but have not run a new full yet. But I think the registry key will work perfectly.

Thanks,

Lee