Skip to main content

Hello community,

Trying to configure the Oracle RAC Client for Unified Data Guard and reaching the point of setting up streams.

The documentation states: "The archivelog subclient for the primary site should have streams configured only for the primary nodes; the streams for the remaining nodes should be set to 0. For the standby site, configure streams for the standby nodes only and set the remaining node streams to 0 in that standby archivelog subclient. "

Question:

1. Should this configuration be done at the RAC subclient level or at the physical node level? :
  • If configured at the RAC subclient level, streams will be set to a value for primary nodes and 0 for remaining nodes. However, after failover, when the standby site takes over backup, since its stream is set to zero, the backup won't run...

• If streams are set at the physical node level, can the primary node see the standby node? Because according to the documentation, "the primary site should have streams configured only for the primary nodes and the streams for the remaining nodes should be set to 0," while keeping the default stream setting at the RAC archivelog subclient level.

thanks

I believe my peers recently had a case about this and I have asked them come take a look at your question. They might be able to help us here.

@mfox thanks

Hi Dan,

Number of streams should be set for all nodes at subclient level so as when there is a fail over, backup will continue to work.

We will have books online corrected as that section is mostly for customized log backup across all sites.

@mfox thanks

Seems the discussion I seen on last week about this topic was your case you raised.