Question

Overcapacity license status

• 30 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

Hello all! 

I am facing a problem with capacity licence.I have exceeded 110% while creating backup for end of year export.

But we have done housekeeping after that, and now we are about 92%, please have a look:

In web console, I also can see this chart:

but still I get a warning on console:

And it forces me to reset it every 96h… The system is running at this 92% consumption for about 5 days.

Today i have found this in web console in other place…

I have contacted Commvault and they have sent me “A loan key”. So as far as I understand the “loan” key is used to temporarily extend capacity license, but it seems that not a problem because we are below 100% right now.

I have excluded few clients from backup (disabled backup activity), but those clients do have already performed backups for UAL export.

So for now I am confused… How this Capacity License is Calculated? Why we're still getting warning even if we are around 92% for about 5 days? Does already create backups for clients which i have disabled still counts? Shall i “release licence” to “free” this capacity? Unfortunately I am not able to do so, because some of those clients are subclients of NDMP backup...

How exactly “loan key” works? I would like to avoid using it, because it might be needed in a future if we will exceed capacity for real, and I am afraid that Commvault might not provide us next one because we already used it once.

8 replies

Badge

Hello Grzegorz,

Run a license summary report from commcell console and check if the capacity is around 92%. If it shows the utilization is under 100% , please wait for reset grace period to be over.

So lets say if your reset grace period is showing 39/96  hours as per the screenshot, wait for 57 hours and let it complete full grace period i.e. 96/96 hours. Once that is done , Do not click reset again. Run a data aging job and let it complete, close and re-open the commcell console and check if you still see the warning message.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I believe you have to disable Subclients to release license capacity, not Clients.

Although releasing the license for Clients should also work.

I have never seen the overcapacity alert when the capacity usage is below 100%.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge

Hello,

Capacity is calculated based on the latest full backup for each subclient. Even if there are multiple subclients, all subclients are counted.

To decrease usage, you need to disable the backup activity at the subclient level.

Since you've already disabled the backup activity at the subclient level, perform a data aging once and generate the license summary from the CommCell console using the "agent details options." Check if the disabled subclient is still consuming the license.

Alternatively, after the 96 hours have passed(do not click on the reset option), try restarting the services of Commvault and check if you are still receiving the warning.

If the license usage is under control, the warning should not appear. I assume you have only purchased Commvault capacity complete and recovery, which includes everything (VMs, databases, operating instances, etc.).

If issues persist, support will need to investigate the problem in the staging environment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

How exactly “loan key” works? I would like to avoid using it, because it might be needed in a future if we will exceed capacity for real, and I am afraid that Commvault might not provide us next one because we already used it once.

This is probably a temporary key with an increased licensing capacity.  I believe it will have an expiration associated with it, so I don’t think you can save it for later use.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +4

Hi all!
Many, many thanks for Your response!

So even if we can clear see that capacity shows 92% this error will keep appearing, because …

In Dashboard view at commandcenter i can se this:

Why in other place there are other types of calculation?

On Commancender web console under Manage> License > Summary Report i can see this:

On Java console i can set this…

This is quite confusing and misleading… 
Is there a difference between this “Capacity” and “Current capacity”? When i click this “Current capacity” it redirects me to page when bar is at 92,25%…(same as few lines above)

While trying to browse for those clients (paths) which I have excluded from backup in this report here:

I am not able to find them under any Application Class, Agent usage or so….so it means that they do not consume license? But counter suggest they do…

This is probably a temporary key with an increased licensing capacity.  I believe it will have an expiration associated with it, so I don’t think you can save it for later use.

I do not mean to save it for later use, just not use it at all, because I am afraid that Commvault might not provide us another one when it will be actually needed in future.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I don’t know why they wouldn’t match.  Unless someone else chimes in with a suggestion, I would recommend opening a support case to find out why the discrepancy.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +4

Hello all!
We have solved this problem. At least, it seems so…

When a “reset” button becomes active - so when we reached 96/96 hours period, we have started data ageing job, and warning disappeared. Nevertheless,

in one place in Web Console, we do still have this overcapacity warning - but services restart might help here.

Alternatively, after the 96 hours have passed(do not click on the reset option), try restarting the services of Commvault and check if you are still receiving the warning.

So data ageing was enough to get rid of popup, but I assume that we would need to restart services to “reset” capacity diagram in web console

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@Grzegorz the GUI window for license and reg will show the actual usage once the grace hours are completed so we can ignore that for now.