Question

PerfAnalysis log

Badge +1

Hi All!

I'm trying to figure out what could be the problem during bottleneck during my backups/restore that I do through Commvault; Some jobs come up "abnormal" so I would like to investigate more about that. I saw that you can use the PerfAnalysis.log files found on the media agent, but if I try to open one, this is its contents.

06/27 15:45:53 --- main(196) - Could not read log file or Performance counters for JobID 5155311 not found in the file

Is the file perhaps only generated correctly in some situations?

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Vincez ,

Have you generated the send logs from the job id and when the job was running?

If not, can you try, it needs to run for a few minutes and has transferred some data.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/109223_performance_analysis_tool.html

Best Regards,

Sebastien Merluzzi

Badge +1

Hi @Vincez ,

Have you generated the send logs from the job id and when the job was running?

If not, can you try, it needs to run for a few minutes and has transferred some data.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/109223_performance_analysis_tool.html

Best Regards,

Sebastien Merluzzi

Thanks Sebastien for the reply!

Yes, I ran the send log file while running a job (Mostly restore), but still the PerfAnalysis.log file contains what I reported in the first post.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Vincez 

If the media is a Windows machine, could see any AV running on it and can you make sure it has the required exceptions? Also, please check the event viewer as well if can find anything related?

Secondly, could you please try to suspend a test running job and then check the log? 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +1

@Rajiv 

I checked what you asked, I can't find anything on the antivirus or Windows event viewer.

Should I open a ticket to commvault?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Vincez ,

It will consolidate the logs from the CVPERFMGR.log and provide insight onto them.

If there are not enough streams or if they have not ran long enough then it will fail. 

Can you check to see if the CVperfMgr.log is present for the job and review that.

If not, then yes, log a case with Support and we will check.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Vincez ,

What is the status of this issue?

Have you logged a case for this?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Vincez 

Was this ever resolved please?

Badge +1

Hi  @Sebastien Merluzzi 

For the problem with the CVperfMgr.log, I did not solve it. Support asked me to update the infrastructure, but that was not possible at the moment. 
The strangest thing, which I also pointed out to them, is that if I run from the CLI a CvPerfLogAnalyze -jobid [jobid] of a backup, I get the file generated correctly and it contains all the info. For restores it does not. 

As you indicated, I was advised to currently look at the CVperfMgr file

Maybe in a few months, I will upgrade to 11.32 (I don't think this will solve the problem), if the problem is still there, I will open a new ticket to support. 

Regards, 

Vincenzo 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Vincenzo ok, sure.

Badge +7

Just to add some additional considerations on this one. 

1. The job in question must have ran for at least 10 minutes in order to generate the log.
  2. Recommendation is to suspend any long running jobs rather than killing them and running the performance analysis tool against them for automated analysis. 
  3. If the information is not generated into the analysis log and the job has ran for more than 10 minutes you can run the tool manually as per the below example 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi

Did a upgrade solved your problem? I am running with Commvault version 2023E, and I have the same problem, that I cannot see performance data for a restore job. I am getting the same error as you.

Can you not use performance analyse tool for restore jobs?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Anders Trier Rasmussen ,

You can check the link above/below:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/performance_analysis_tool.html

You can use the Performance Analysis tool to help analyze performance issues on a backup job. 

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Sebastien

Many thanks for making it clear for me. :-) Some times its help to read the whole documentation.