Skip to main content

Running v11.28

It appears easy to turn on/activate, but since its “not enabled by default” (it appears...maybe someone turned it off?) I don’t know if it's going to cause any issues or require special considerations if I turn it on. So “reasons it’s not turned on by default” seem to elude me.

• Any reason not to turn on private metrics reporting?
  • Do the reports using up a lot of disk space or memory/CPU for the “private metrics reporting server” (in my case: the commcell server)?
  • Does it cause issues/extra config if you have LiveSync syncing a DR commserver? 
  • Is there a list of reports or “big reasons to turn this on”? I have seen a few blank reports and the docs indicate I have to have metrics reporting on for them.
  • I assume its just “can turn it on if wanted” and not any special software installations or services to manually turn on first or anything to enable it, aside from configuring this part in the java UI: control panel → Private Metrics Reporting → (click check boxes and follow configuration docs for this part)

I have the web UI (command center) running on my commcell server.

Also: I assume it does not matter whether I configure/enable this via java console or Command center.

I’m aware that “documented best practice” indicates running a separate reporting/web server, but support (informally) has essentially said that it's not needed. Maybe it's because I have beefy enough commserve server.

Hello,

For private metrics reporting. Activity and health should have been enabled by default if you had installed Metrics Reporting Server software component installed. If someone had turned it off, you can safely turn it back on, it doesn’t cause any additional CPU/Memory load on the CS. If you like to see who would have turned it off, you can check the Audit Trail report.

Thanks,

Bheemesh

Make sure the hardware currently running the CS will be able to cope with the extra demand required by the Metrics feature

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/hardware_specifications_for_private_metrics_reporting_server.html

In your case you,ve mentioned there is CS LIveSync configured in the environment, Metrics will only be installed on the currently active Cs, meaning that if a failover is performed, Metrics will not be available on the Passive node and may run into issues.

For your current configuration, it seems like having a dedicated Metrics Server will be preferable to avoid running into issues during failover operations.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/metrics_reporting.html

Alternatively, you could enable Cloud Metrics Reporting

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/activating_cloud_metrics_reporting_in_command_center_01.html

This feature will send the metrics information to Commvault’s Metrics Server, where you will be able to work with the reports. And obviously the information will still be private and only visible to users linked to your account.