Skip to main content
Solved

Re-install AD Backup Agent

• 22 January 2024
  • 3 replies

I previously had AD backup working and my DC cratered.  The DC is up and backing up again but AD is not because there is no agent on the rebuilt DC.  I have a ticket open, which led me to this.

What I can’t figure out is how to download the AD agent again.  It looks like the way it’s done is as part of the AD backup setup in the first place.  All of the connection info is still in place.  Is there a way to re-load the agent, or does the setup have to be done from scratch (as in Add → Active Directory)?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @jwood,

Good day!

The entire media kit has the Active directory package in it or you can create a custom package by selecting the AD agent and the required agents.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/custom_packages.html

If you are proceeding with local installation using media kit, launch the setup.exe > Choose Install on this computer > Select the same instance and use Add package options > Then select the Active directory agent to get it installed.

If it is from Commcell console, Right click on the client > install software > Select the active directory agent and install them.

Note: Ensure that a Domain admin user is provided during the installation which has access to all objects in the AD forest.

Kindly let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Naresh G

Badge +1

Hi Naresh,

Unfortunately, the page you sent me to comes up with a commvault login, which I don’t have, only a metallic login, so I’m not exactly sure what is behind it.

I did a search and found a similar page which may be what you are pointing me to, but I’m not sure.  When I go to the servers list, I see my DC and it is in an error state.  I do not see a way to create a custom package.  It says the server “Needs update”.  

When I click on the properties for the server, it gives me an option to upgrade software or repair software, but that’s not what you were pointing me to, so I don’t know if that will help.  When I click Add Software, there is no option for AD Agent.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @jwood 

The option for AD will only come if the software is updated in the software cache. 

You can attempt to download the required packages directly from commcell if the commserve has internet enabled: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/downloading_software_on_demand.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal