Skip to main content

Hello, 

we need to move a media agent and the backup storage to another rack in April. 
Our environment is configured so that the backup storage volumes are set up as CSV (Clustered Shared Volumes).
So both media agents can access the backup storage of the other site. 
If we had to move only the media agent, I would say that it is enough to put it into maintenance mode in Commvault. Then we could shut down the media agent and install it in the new rack. However, since the site's backup storage also goes offline, the question would be whether we could still keep the backup service running or if we would have to plan for downtime. 
I know that backup jobs run on errors with the storage policy for the affected site. I would also redirect these to the second site for the time period. The point of my question is whether Commvault will have a problem when volumes are no longer accessible. 

Kind Regards

Thomas

Hey @thomas.S,

From what you have described that sounds workable. MA’s in maintenance mode wont start any new jobs, but they also wont stop any running jobs - so its the equivalent of ‘drain role’ from a Microsoft cluster perspective. If your datapaths are configured properly (which it sounds like they are), new jobs should start automatically on the other media agent.

Will the CSV be completely offline at any point?

Hello @Damian Andre

OK, then I would redirect the jobs to the Storage Policy to the site which is not affected by the move. 
Only the CSV that are located in the data center where the move is performed would go offline. The rest of the CSV in the other datacenter will stay online. 

Kind Regards

Thomas