Solved

Restore Mongodb out of place succeeded but failed to start mongo server.

• 31 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hello dears, 

i have an issue but i actually dont know is it related to commvault or the mongo vendor or a cluster configuration issue .

we have a mongo cluster with a replica set configured.

we are performing backups successfully without any issues. 

we are trying to restore the mongo db to a different cluster with same configuration as production,

so i have performed out of place restore multiple times with these configuration:

• picked the destination cluster and checked the automatic restore. 
  • picked the destination cluster and checked the automatic restore and changed the replicaset name to the destination cluster . 
  • restored files only 

all above scenarios succeeded but with the below error 

Data files have been successfully restored. But, all the mongodb servers could not be started with the restored data.

when we check the cluster after restore we see that the db is trying to connect to the prod servers not the destination servers. 

is this the normal behaviour and the mongo admins should do some manual work to fix this ? 

or there are some configuration i should apply during the restore? 

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 1 September 2022, 06:52

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m not a Mongo DB expert, but I see that Commvault will generate the config file, and there are options to set the right servers during restore:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/130809_restoring_mongodb_cluster_to_different_cluster_out_of_place.html

Perhaps these steps were not correctly done?

1. To provide inputs for the primary member in each replica set, under Replica set options, click the edit button.

The Provide inputs for primary member dialog box appears.

2. Enter the new values for the primary member, and then click Save.

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

I’m not a Mongo DB expert, but I see that Commvault will generate the config file, and there are options to set the right servers during restore:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/130809_restoring_mongodb_cluster_to_different_cluster_out_of_place.html

Perhaps these steps were not correctly done?

1. To provide inputs for the primary member in each replica set, under Replica set options, click the edit button.

The Provide inputs for primary member dialog box appears.

2. Enter the new values for the primary member, and then click Save.

Hello @Damian Andre 

i have correctly done these 2 steps. 

and the restore succeeded but without starting the mongo service.

when we tried to start it manually we found that the db is trying to connect to the production servers not the new servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Muhammad Abdullah , I’m asking about this issue internally.  I (or someone) will reply with advice.

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hello @Mike Struening 

any updates on this ? as its getting critical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Muhammad Abdullah , I heard from a few sources who suggested creating a support case directly.

Let me know the case number once created so I can track it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

Any solutions for this? I’m having the same issue. Already create ticket but not very helpful so far.

regards,

Fauzi