Skip to main content

Hello Community 

We are looking to  restoring an older version of SQL DB to a more recent version of SQL ... IS that possible :  Source SQL 2000 WIndows 2003 / destination SQL 2003 - WIndows 2008 

source db currnetly backup via Commvault v11.24.69

Hi @DanC 

Yes it is a supported option, see here (Cross application Restores). 

HTH

Niall

@DanC You can always restore to a higher version of MSSQL but you can not restore to a lower version. This is MSFT restriction not Commvault.

@Scott Reynolds,  @Neil   thank you

So, if I understand correctly, as long as the source SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 and the destination SQL 2003 on Windows 2008 are currently running via v11.24.69, we should be able to restore from a lower version to a higher version. Is my understanding correct?

I'm asking because SQL Server 2000 and 2003 are not listed as supported applications in the SP24 MS SQL Server system requirements.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/143077_microsoft_sql_server_agent_system_requirements.html

Yes that is correct.

Worst case scenario you can always leverage the restore to disk function to restore the DB as a .bak file and lever SQL tools.

Note this of course is only user databases not system databases (master, model, msdb)

@Scott Reynolds  thanks