Question

Salesforce Backup - Move SQL Database to another Instance

• 3 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hi all,

After some advice on the following if anyone can help?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/modifying_salesforce_backup_sets_to_sync_to_database.html

The instance where the current Database for the Salesforce Backup Configuration resides needs to be decommissioned.  If I was to change the Commvault configuration to use a new database on a different instance what would be the consequence of this?

I would assume a full backup would need to be run of the Salesforce Org to build a new copy in the Database, but would this affect any restore capability for jobs that used the previous database configuration such as record level restores or could this be retrieved from the related backup jobs?  I would think that record level restores would not be possible due to the fact they are only supported in the most recent backup cycle, but is there anything else that requires consideration?

Just trying to understand the impact of this operation so any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @G.lee 

When you move the database to a new instance and Server CV will treat it like it has never seen it before and start protecting it as new data.
If the case of a restore is needed and you need data from before the new jobs started, you will need to perform that restore from the old agent.

You would disable backups on the old agent but not remove the data so it is still present for restore if it is still required. There will be a line in the sand that should be noted so if a restore is needed before X date you know to go to the older agent. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +4

Hello @G.lee 

When you move the database to a new instance and Server CV will treat it like it has never seen it before and start protecting it as new data.
If the case of a restore is needed and you need data from before the new jobs started, you will need to perform that restore from the old agent.

You would disable backups on the old agent but not remove the data so it is still present for restore if it is still required. There will be a line in the sand that should be noted so if a restore is needed before X date you know to go to the older agent. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Thanks for the Response @Albert Williams.  Much appreciated. 

Can I just clarify my understanding.  I am referring to updating/replacing the ‘sync to database’ SQL Database as in the screenshot 

Due to a requirement to update the Database Host and Database (as the owner wishes to decommission) I was hoping that a new Blank Database could be used and populated when running a new full backup in the existing Salesforce client.  I was assuming you may be able to just edit the details for the new Database.  It is not clear in my mind what essential information is stored in the database as opposed to the job data in the Commvault library.  The Documentation implies that it is not essential to have the ‘sync to database’ Database in the configuration, more it was required for certain capabilities - record level restores, Sandbox Seeding,etc. 

Can I assume from your answer that this is not possible and would require a new Salesforce Instance/Pseudo Client to be created with a new ‘sync to database’ Database?

Does the old client and ‘sync to database’ configuration need to be maintained separately to allow historical restore and maintained for the retention period set?

As per https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/creating_salesforce_pseudo_client.html and the ‘Best Practice’ Section, if this ‘sync to database’ database no longer exists, then is all restore functionality/capability lost or only a subset?  

Thanks in advance

G.lee

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @G.lee 

I am not hugely familiar with this feature. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this question.

My answer was with the logic of moving a client from one SP to another, my mistake. 

Kind regards