Skip to main content

Hello,

Is there a way to schedule a restore of the latest backup of a specific MS SQL database to disk?

Thanks at all.

Hi @ThomasG 

Yes, you can schedule restores of latest backups, there’s a couple of different ways.

In the Commcell GUI, go through the steps of running a restore as would normally, configuring all the required options. At the final step of the process you have a choice to Run the restore now, Schedule or Save As Script.

If you select to restore the latest backup, this will simply take the latest backup was performed, regardless of whether it’s full or transaction log. So if restoring to another SQL instance, it’s important to ensure the database is ready as most recent backup might be a transaction log backup.

If you select Schedule, you are then presented with the various options for scheduling the restore, frequency, etc.

If you select save as script, this will output a batch file and xml file with the configured options and you will need to take this file and execute as a script separately.

Please see Save as Script Overview for more info.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I know these options, but if we do a restore of a SQL database to disk, these options (schedule, save as script are not shown. We can only click OK and restore is running immediatley and is successful.

Thanks,

Thomas

@ThomasG , can you confirm you are in the CommCell Console, not the Admin Center interface?

Hello Mike,

Yes, Commcell Console. I will share a screenshot tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks!!

Hello @ThomasG 

Those should be an option. Once you setup your desired restore to disk options, location, etc there should be a job initiation tab next to general. Here you can configure schedule, etc.

Hello,

Please have a look athe PDF. Thank you.

@ThomasG  Thanks for sharing the pdf.

It is not displaying the other options as the simplified restore functions are leveraged here.

In the first window (screenshot) select advanced instead of restore to disk.

Once that is selected the restore options are displayed. Here click on advanced again at the bottom and under new window options tab and enter you restore to disk location and check the box as done below. Once that is complete click ok here to close this window and go back to original window which has that Job Initiation tab at top right.

Hi Scott,

Damn, I didn’t try this. Thank you very much.

( I always thought, I am not a beginner in Commvault 😉)

Hello Scott,

Oh my god, I didn’t try this … Sorry for my beginners post here … 😉

Thank you very much.

Hello Thomas

No worries just glad we could help. Just adding that while not valid for restore to disk there are some other functions like restore ‘full only’ options that sometimes are frequently requested. Also take note of the latest backup option as well if you are wanting to restore the last backup performed at the time of the restore otherwise it will restore based on the time you performed the browse.

I will add if you are looking for a simple way to automate replication to a standby database SQL live Sync could provide a solution.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/92005_replication_of_sql_databases.html

Scott