Skip to main content
Question

Searching report with Ip adress for clients

• 1 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Is there any report where I can select IP address for clients listed in it? 
My IT security dep wanted list of all infrastructure clients with IP address, but all reports has only client name and host name.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Unless you’re using IP addresses for the Hostnames in Commvault, which would not be recommend, the software is going to use DNS and Host files for name resolution.  Commvault is not the place to be looking to audit Client names and IP addresses.  IPAM, DNS and/or DHCP servers are probably the best starting point.  If they’re trying to audit the environment against these servers, see my first comment about IP addresses not typically being used in Commvault.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi,

if you have a Commvault agent deployed, the IP addresses of the clients are determined during startup.
the are probably stored somewhere/somehow deep inside the CommServe database, since they will be presented once you try to define backup networks.

As far as I remember, this is also possible, while the client is unreachable

the other way around

if DNS is reliable, you can create a list of client’s network hostnames (which only covers the client netname and not any additional IP on those clients, that might be used to address backup networks and networks with dedicated routes), and use either

• Unix getent hosts <hostname1> <hostname2>
  • Windows Powershell “hostname1”,”hostname2”|Resolve-DnsName |select ipaddress,name

to create the desired list.