Skip to main content

Hello Commvault Community,

I would like to ask about one of the scenarios that I am currently observing and I have some concerns and uncertainties.

There was an Exchange Mailbox (Classic) configuration in the environment a few years ago and it was turned off a few years ago (around 2017), but the retention for archiving jobs is Infinite - data is kept and available on Storage all the time.

Machines responding to this configuration from the VMware side have been completely deleted and cannot be recovered.

With archiving jobs still available on Storage and another alternative MediaAgent with the Exchange package, are we able to recover data from Storage? Is there a configuration required for this that was originally used and there is no other option/workaround?

Restoring the mailbox should go to a PST file (the mailbox size is +/- 2GB)

I need information whether, without the available infrastructure referring to the Exchange Mailbox (Classic) configuration, we are able to recover a single mailbox through an alternative MediaAgent that is available and has access to archiving jobs.

Currently I get the error: "Error Code: o24:42] Description: Cannot start restore program on host xyz*xyz*8400] - a network error occurred or the product's services are not running. Source: xyz, Process: fsIndexedRestore"

Thanks in advance,
Kamil

Hello @Kamil 

A PST restore from data that was protected with the classic mailbox agent can be restored as long as you have the CS and the data on disk. All other components can be replaces and removed. With that in mind you will need MS outlook 2010 or 2013 installed on the machine you are targeting to write the .PST

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/advanced_restore_exchange_mailbox_classic_agent.html

Kind regards

Albert Williams