Solved

SQL Agents - Does the filesystem agent automatically filter out MDF, LDF, and NDF?

• 10 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Commvault People,

I am in the process of reworking our legacy filtering and exclusion settings.

One thing which would be very beneficial is for the OS Filesystem agent to automatically exclude the database components from Filesystem backup, since we have the application agent already protecting the data.

I then noticed this thread from this very forum which alluded to this being implemented in one of many possible service packs:-

However, it had different contributions from differing Commvaulters and was left a little open-ended.

So I would like to ask the question again.

If you have a SQL ida, and a Filesystem ida, is the Filesystem ida supposed to automatically exclude the database structures from backup?  Can I also throw Oracle into the mix here?

From a backup config perspective this would be a big win, as I am currently looking at ways of implementing a scenario where a SQL or Oracle agent has its corresponding database components excluded. However, I can’t see a way of easily doing this. I was hoping that somewhere in the Control Panel-Global Filters it would let me add a group (and the group would be SQL Agents installs etc) but I can't see the ability to do that.

So in summary, two questions for the community:-

1 -Does anyone know the status of auto-exclusion for database files if an app agent is already installed?

2 - If the above is not working, is there a way to provide exclusions against a group?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 11 October 2022, 15:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@MountainGoat , I looked around and it does not seem to be automatically configured, though usually we err on the side of caution for most settings and anything that excludes has to be set manually:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/18497_excluding_application_files_from_windows_file_system_backups.html

For Unix/Oracle I found the Additional Setting mention here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22nFilterApplicationFiles%22&id=4354

Based on the notes in the prior thread and what I can see, the CMR was removed due to these features being created (not the doc link is for 2022E (aka 11.28).

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks Mike.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening could you give it a try to chase up @Ray Han and see if we can get an answer on the remainder of the questions who were raised in the attached thread? I missed the closing of the thread and on our side this topic was also brought up again and I see 2022E did not deliver any improvements. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sure thing.  He’s gone for the day, but I left him a pm.

Badge +3

Hi Folks, I did consult with one of the lead developers and the design by default is, if the <any OS> FS IDA is installed with an Application IDA eg; SQL, Exch, Oracle, any additional IDA, the Application IDA should be automatically filtered out. If you do see otherwise, please do contact support and have a ticket opened so that we can investigate further. 

Previously reviewed the SP18 CMR 273927 titled “Enable ability to filter out DB files on FS Linux and Windows when agent is installed and configured”, this was closed as it was deemed fixed by SP20. 

If the Application IDA is not installed but needs to be excluded from the FS Backup, the filter options are listed here: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/18497_excluding_application_files_from_windows_file_system_backups.html

Hope this helps.