Solved

SQL Cluster behavior

• 14 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the behavior of an SQL cluster.

Scenario:

This cluster is made up of 2 VMs with shared disks. There is also a witness client to this cluster. The witness client was rebooted unexpectedly, and so I’m assuming Commvault determined that the cluster was lost, since a backup set and instance were automatically created on one of the client nodes. What brought our attention to this was that we received an alert that this subclient could not be backed up since there was no Storage Policy associated, and permission not configured, which was to be expected.

My questions:

• Is this normal behavior? (I believe that it is?). If so, why would Commvault do this given it can’t be backed up anyway with no storage policy associated, etc...?
  • Is there an option to disable this behavior?
  • Am I correct in saying that by the witness client being rebooted, the system assumed the cluster was lost? Also, this is not the same as a failover, yes?
  • If an actual failover occurs, would Commvault be able to continue backing up the SQL DB without intervention?

Thanks for any help or relevant docs on this topic

Cheers!

icon

Best answer by ddwyer 15 February 2024, 00:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Lani,

I believe this is a duplicate of: 

If anyone is watching and wants to see the answers provided on that other thread

David