Question

Storage accelerator - who is using it and what are you experiences

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

My team is responsible for delivering Commvault as a Platform and we manage multiple environments. All environment leverage cloud storage as their primary storage target and we are deploying storage accelerator now to maximize the usage towards our on-premise S3 target which is FlashBlade/S target.

Now the challenge we run into is the lack of visibility if storage accelerator is actually being used by the client or by the access node. According to the documentation you should be able to see on on the job details of a running backup if storage accelerator is used when the MediaAgent is showing the client name. However this didn't happen and we new for a fact that the client was able to connect. We opened a ticket more than 12 months ago and investigation lead to the resolution that the product contains a "cosmetic” bug resulting in the job controller detail not showing the change. Only way to investigate if the client is working and using storage accelerator is by going into the logs. A CMR was opened and until now it is still on the backlog.

I find this pretty disappointing, especially because it is a very unique feature and as cloud storage adoption rises it really delivers value to Commvault customers. My question is if someone can check the status of CMR 348842. 

I would like the job controller overview to have a column which very quickly shows if the feature is used. In addition it would be great if you could see an indicator in the client details which shows the state of the client if it can reach the cloud storage directly. 

I'm also curious to hear experiences from other Commvault customers!

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Onno van den Berg 

Thanks for reaching out with your questions and thanks for using Commvault!

In regards to your CMR i can see that there was an update that states the following from Dev: 

“With recent changes to store job option, we should be able to show SA at job level in GUI”

With a CMR we do not commit to a time frame as to when and if the fix will be completed. I have reached out to the Dev team for an update and i will update here again with what they say back around any further updates.

Sorry i don’t have a better answer for you immediately but i will keep you posted. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks @Albert Williams! I will also follow some alternative paths. 

Badge

has this “cosmetic issue”, in where still shows the media agent in the streams, been resolved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, they addressed it in the latest release (CPR2023E / FR32). I however hope they will add more improvements, so it becomes easier to see which clients are not working as expected and possibilities to flush the disablement settings from the clients in the case SA doesn't work correctly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Onno van den Berg Hey, we also want to use it and ran into the same problem that we cant see if Storage Accelerator is used or not for Hana Agent in Azure.

Can you tell on which log you found to see if it used or not?

Thx & BR

Marcel

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You can check the CVD.log and or the events sections within the CommCell console (and most likely also within Command Center) where it will report if the client is unable to talk directly to the given cloud library. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

You can check the CVD.log and or the events sections within the CommCell console (and most likely also within Command Center) where it will report if the client is unable to talk directly to the given cloud library. 

Ok I see nothing in cvd.log nor in the events, which is not possible. The cloud library is accesible from Client I already tested with Cloudtesttool.

So I understand rigtht there will no hint the in the log that Storage Accelerator is used, only if it is not working is logged ?

Thx & BR

Marcel

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I assume you deployed the SA role, right? Did you also enable the SA option in the settings module?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I assume you deployed the SA role, right? Did you also enable the SA option in the settings module?

Yes

• Installe SA Role
  • Active SA on Commcell Level
  • Checked Additional Settings → there is no Disable = true on the CLient
  • Added Additional Key & Secret to Cloud Storage for SA
  • Tested Connectivity from Cleint to CLoud Storage → works

Job runs , but I cant see anywhere if SA is used

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If you are running on FR32 than you should see it in the job details. If not than the only way to asses it is to go through the logs. It mention it somewhere throughout the run in the CVD.log. 

It is such a miss that you really miss a good eye on it how it works. I already requested a change to be implemented in Command Center on the level of the client/object that you would see the connection status towards the cloud storage backend in case the plan uses cloud storage and SA is enabled and enrolled. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

One thing, which is very unfortunately, is that development overlooked to implement it also for restore jobs. In all honesty I just would like to see on client level, so not on job level, if SA is active and working for both backup and restore. For this I will have to open another CMR :-(