Skip to main content

Hello,

Some question about the Storage policy to plan conversion

I have let say 10 storage policies.
SP1 to SP10
The schedule policy associated to these Storage policy is always the same  : Schedule_Policy_ inc daily _8PM_synth_full_Sun_10PM

I created a test Storage policy with a few clients.

I ran the Plan conversion App.

The SP was converted to Plan.

I noticed that the schedule policy Schedule_Policy_ inc daily _8PM_synth_full_Sun_10PM has been disabled during the conversion and It is a normal behavior.

But it means that other storage policies that are not yet converted will not be backup up until I convert them ?

Also I noticed that the synthetic full full backup schedule was not taken into account during the conversion

Thanks for you help !

Hello @Amin91,

1. Regarding the disabling of the common schedule policy. As mentioned in the conversion documentation (Step 6.b.) the schedule policies associated with the storage policy that is being converted will be disabled. This includes the schedule policies that are shared among other storage policies’ subclients.
    A list of such schedule policies that would get disabled is displayed in the App before submitting for conversion.
    And yes, the subclients of the remaining storage policies that you had not converted will not trigger backups since their shared schedule policy got disabled.
    Its best if you migrate all your storage policies to plans and operate them from the Command Center.
    As an alternate temporary solution to prevent data loss, you can create a new schedule policy or standalone schedules and associate it with the subclients whose schedule policy had been disabled.
  2. Regarding the synthetic full schedule, a server plan should have an (internal) synthetic full which is not displayed in the RPO section of the plan in Command Center for simplicity purpose. You can confirm this in the Commcell Console (Java GUI).
    Commcell Console > Schedule policy list > Search for the converted plan name > Open the schedule policy and you should find a synthetic full schedule.

-Regards

Hello @Amin91,

1. Regarding the disabling of the common schedule policy. As mentioned in the conversion documentation (Step 6.b.) the schedule policies associated with the storage policy that is being converted will be disabled. This includes the schedule policies that are shared among other storage policies’ subclients.
    A list of such schedule policies that would get disabled is displayed in the App before submitting for conversion.
    And yes, the subclients of the remaining storage policies that you had not converted will not trigger backups since their shared schedule policy got disabled.
    Its best if you migrate all your storage policies to plans and operate them from the Command Center.
    As an alternate temporary solution to prevent data loss, you can create a new schedule policy or standalone schedules and associate it with the subclients whose schedule policy had been disabled.
  2. Regarding the synthetic full schedule, a server plan should have an (internal) synthetic full which is not displayed in the RPO section of the plan in Command Center for simplicity purpose. You can confirm this in the Commcell Console (Java GUI).
    Commcell Console > Schedule policy list > Search for the converted plan name > Open the schedule policy and you should find a synthetic full schedule.

-Regards

Thanks it is very clear. I can see the synth full in the schedule policy that was converted.

Another question, I saw many topics where they advice to use automatic synth full rather than specific time.

is it a best practice to avoid that to much synth full run at the same time ?

Hi @Amin91 

Yes. Automatic Synthetic fulls are always recommended for performance and scalability. They run based on the provided interval, or extended retention and selective copy settings or if it is determined by the software that significant space reclamation is possible. They are also staggered and load balanced. If there are business rules to run synthetic full only on certain days, the recommendation is to create a blackout Window for Synthetic full operation on the server group level.