Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

I have a customer which runs backups of a DB2 database and need to run backups logs frequently, and everytime we run the backups logs, not only the Logs was running, but also the Data.

And this was taking a while to complete, in addition to other issues (such as running command line backups, due to Commvault's default protection behavior). This delay was due to the subclient having both Data and Logs content, and when the Logs backup was executed, Data was also protected.

To get around this, a new Plan was created, associating it with the same Storage that the original Plan is associated and having the desired Log backup frequency configured; a new Subclient was created and associated with this new Plan.

With this, my question is: when performing the restore in this scenario, could Commvault have any problem? If so, what implications could this have? What the impacts in the restore could happen and what could be the workaround?

Thank you.

Hello @antonio 

Thanks for the great question, I am assuming you are talking about SQL here when referring to log and data-backup?

Currently in the Java console there is a thing called a log storage policy and i have confirmed with the product team that they are working on getting this feature added to the command center but it is currently not available. 

In regards to impact of having one subclient targeting one plan and another subclient to a different plan. If you are restoring in isolation there wont be any issue. Due to them being on different plans there is not refence to each other so if you want to restore the data and then the logs on top of it, you will have to do that as 2 restore jobs.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @antonio 

Thanks for the great question, I am assuming you are talking about SQL here when referring to log and data-backup?

Currently in the Java console there is a thing called a log storage policy and i have confirmed with the product team that they are working on getting this feature added to the command center but it is currently not available. 

In regards to impact of having one subclient targeting one plan and another subclient to a different plan. If you are restoring in isolation there wont be any issue. Due to them being on different plans there is not refence to each other so if you want to restore the data and then the logs on top of it, you will have to do that as 2 restore jobs.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @Albert Williams, Thank you for your reply.

I'm talking about the DB2 database itself. I've noticed that when I run a backup with 2 subclients, each containing its own general content, in the Java Console I see that it uses 2 Storages Polices, 1 for the data, and the other for the Logs themselves.

My only concern is whether during the database restore process, if I would need to have any problems because each subclient is associated with a different Plan and whether this would have any problems at the time of the restore, whether using the Command Center or even the Java Console.

Regards,

Antonio.