Skip to main content

This is not necessarily an issue since my tape copies are working and tape library is configured.

However I when I look at the library, all my drives have ma01 as my active controller. I have 3 other active media agents. How do I balance having MA01 to only be active to drives 2 and 3, then MA02 drives 4 and 5 and so on?

Pretty sure I had this changed before on a old library but cant remember how to change it.

Thanks

Hey dude ! 

The MA listed as the controller should change based on which MA is being used to run the backup or aux copy. Are your other 3 MAs correctly in the Data Paths of the Storage Policy Copy and do you see your backups/aux copies using different MAs? Also on the Data Path Configuration tab, is it set to Round Robin? This will cause load balancing across MAs. 

You CAN use Expert Storage Config to deconfigure access from certain MAs for specific drives, but you shouldn’t need to do this.

• All MAs are part of the data path
  • Aux Copies only show MA01
  • currently not using Round Robin. Using “Use Alternate Data Path - When resources are busy or offline”

Should I move my Aux to use Round Robin? Is that all there is ? I could be wrong but remember somehow changing the active controller in the past.

The drive controller displayed is the last MA that was used to write to that tape drive. It can switch around at any time.

“Use Alt Data Path” acts pretty much the same as “Use Preferred Data Path” *except* if a MA goes offline it will switch to the next one. So jobs are probably only running on ma01. Round robin is the only way to load balance. Try changing it and see if the drive controllers start to distribute.

@Jon Kuzmick thanks for the help. Changed my MAs to Round Robin and solve the Active Controller balancing jobs across all MAs.