Solved

The VSS files become bloated. Can this come from Commvault?

• 4 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello everyone,

a customer contacted us and reported that the VSS files on the domain controller were bloated on C:\System Volume Information. He suspects either Commvault or VMware. I looked at several things but couldn't come to a clear conclusion. Maybe someone here knows this behavior and can give me a tip for the solution if this comes through Commvault.

Kind Regards

Thomas

icon

Best answer by thomas.S 6 December 2023, 12:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @thomas.S 

Can you tell what this snapshot is for? It doesn't look like a DDB is hosted on this drive so I would say its not for a DDB. Are you doing VSS Backups of the Filesystem on this Server?

Regardless, when Commvault does a backup leveraging VSS, we send a Delete command once the backup is done for Windows to delete the VSS snapshot. If the OS is holding onto snapshots, I would recommend reaching out to your OS Administrator to investigate why.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Collin Harper

as I see it, the customer has three backups on this system. Once a VSA backup of the VM, a file backup of the entire disk (system state) with VSS is used for locked files only and a backup of the Active Directory via the AD agent. I will ask the customer whether it is necessary to have a system state backup if he has the entire VM as a VSA in the backup anyway. I can only imagine that this behavior is triggered by the File Agent Backup. And I would still have to clarify with the OS admins whether the deletion of the VSS snapshot is prevented by the system configuration.

Regards
Thomas

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @thomas.S ,

Just to add on, we can try the following to isolate

Any File system backup we performed, under Clbackup.log, we will display the Shadow Copy we used to preform the backup. Having that as reference, you an run vssadmin list shadows, This command will list all the shadow copies on your system, along with their creation date and time. It won't directly indicate which software created them, but it might give you a time frame to correlate with other system events.

With the shadows copy captured from the log, you can compare and from the output of vssadmin list shadows.

If this doesn’t exists, it means Commvault Software is able to successful flush the shadow copy created.

Hope this helps you in finding what you need

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@thomas.S 

Hemanth has a great point on identifying the source of the snapshot but regardless it should be cleaning up once the backup is done. Are there any VSS errors in Event Logs? I there is one based on the screenshot you provided.

Thank you,

Collin

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I still had a case open with Commvault. However, it was discovered that the cause could no longer be determined because the logs from the specified period no longer exist.

Nevertheless, thank you for your support.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Team,

I Have facing the same issue in our Infra, We have configured the file system agent backup with VSS, and VSS is used for locked files only ,  We have taking the entire disk backup from the file server

due to this reason the C drive of the server will full, Also after backup completion VSS snapshot is not deleting from the server.

Could you please suggest any solution for this issue because i need to clarify this issue come from Commvaullt end or guest OS side.