Solved

Unable to change retention period

• 5 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi all!

I would like to discuss following situation. We are unable to change retention under Storage Policy Properites → Storage Policy Copy of Primary. After changing the value and clicking OK we see no real changes performed.

Is it possible that this setting is somewhere blocked or overwritten by another settings?

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 6 October 2021, 19:30

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If you change the retention period, it doesn’t lock in until data aging runs. I would suggest first running the data aging forecast report to verify the changes being made.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To add to what @Aplynx said, the freeing of space can easily be delayed due to the deduplication aging process.

I responded to a similar post yesterday here:

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

If you change the retention period, it doesn’t lock in until data aging runs. I would suggest first running the data aging forecast report to verify the changes being made.

Hi @Aplynx@Mike Struening, I am afraid even in the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report there were no changes visible. Newly performed backups are still with the same retention period. Do you have any idea what to do next?

I would add, we are unable to confirm changes in the bar (for Days and Cycles). After clicking OK, old records are returning back

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What are you changing and what is the expected result? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Current status: Retain for 60 Days 8 Cycles

Desired status: Retain for 32 Days 4 Cycles

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@drPhil , are you saying that when you change the 60 and 8 to 32 and 4, then click ok, the settings aren’t actually sticking?

That’s indeed odd.  I would run a GUI Audit Trail report and see if it even acknowledges your change attempt.

For the main issue itself, I reread your original post and I believe you are saying that you simply can’t change the setting and get it to stick.

I’m discussing with a colleague to see if there are any times this is automatically overridden.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Make sure you are doing this on the CommServe itself, if this is being done on a remote console as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Spoke to my colleague here and if you are indeed getting no response from clicking ok, that sounds broken.  Check the GUI Audit trail and share back the result, though this sounds like an incident.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Aplynx and @Mike Struening!

Heurekaaaaaa! Finally, we have the solution! As per your advice I have changed the retention period on the master server - Commserve Server itself instead of using console on the jump host server. Then, the retention period has been sucessfully changed.

Thank you so much for your support!!!