Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

I have an old CommVault installation that has servers other than my CommServer that are still running SQL Server 2012.  I’m following the documentation to uninstall all the packages, uninstall SQL Server and do the reinstallation.  As per the documentation, I took a screen capture of all the CommVault _packages_ that were installed.  When I run the installer, its asking me to select _roles_ and I have no idea what to check off here.  

Is there a way to find out what ROLES I need to select AFTER all the CommVault software has been uninstalled?

Thanks

Ken

These are the packages I had originally.

Here is a list of the differences in what is installed between “All-In-One” and “Server Components”:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/135950_installation_roles_and_packages.html

Weirdly, no combination of those roles gives me all the packages I need.

Plus two of the choices presented by the installer (Activate and Gateways) don’t appear in the CommVault online documentation.

@Ken_H Ken, may I ask you about the OS version of your CommServe? Is it a bare metal server or a VM?

Hi @Ken_H ,

There is always an option to use the old approach of selecting packages by using the Advanced Selection in the Install Option screen. The package list that you shared has webserver with out commserve package in it so Advanced selection is the option available for us to proceed here. Will add the missing roles (Activate and Gateways) in the documentation.

@Ken_HKen, may I ask you about the OS version of your CommServe? Is it a bare metal server or a VM?

My CommServer and my web server are both VMs.

Even with a ticket to CommVault support, it appears to be impossible to get the same packages installed as were originally running on that server.  In addition, Command Center no longer works.  I appreciate why CommVault recommends installing to a totally new server - presumably so your system continues to run while you hunt down all the things that are broken on the new install. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/152356_deprecation_notice_for_compliance_search_package.html

Compliance Search is deprecated, this will explain why you cannot install in a fresh install.

I wonder if all these packages you have installed in the CommServe are really needed o even used: Cloud Apps, Exchange, Office 365 or Index Store and Gateway.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/152356_deprecation_notice_for_compliance_search_package.html

Compliance Search is deprecated, this will explain why you cannot install in a fresh install.

I wonder if all these packages you have installed in the CommServe are really needed o even used: Cloud Apps, Exchange, Office 365 or Index Store and Gateway.

Interesting, thanks for that information.  The deprecation of features is one area that CommVault could REALLY improve on.  As a long time client (~12 year), I’m really tired of surprises like this.  I didn’t even know my web server had a SQL Server installation until (surprise) the upgrade to 11.30 failed.  I didn’t know that Compliance Search was deprecated until I tried to get it running following the upgrade to my web server.  It sometimes feels like my CommVault installation is a house of cards and that one nudge in the wrong place will bring the entire thing down.

As part of the reinstallation, I uninstalled .NET 2.1.5, 2.1.16, 2.1.18, 2.1.20, and 3.1.25 leaving just 6.0.1.  It turns out I should have uninstalled 6.0.1 as well and let the installer put it back as the fix for my Command Center problem was to uninstall & reinstall .NET 6.0.1.

So to answer this question:

Use the Advanced selection option and cross your fingers that you can find the packages you need.  It appears unlikely that any combination of roles will give you everything you need so you’ll likely have to run the installer again to install packages that were missed by whatever role selection you made.  In addition, there’s a chance that some of the packages you were using previously will have been deprecated and are no longer available.

Long story short:  Give yourself as much time as possible and expect to create a ticket with CommVault support.