Skip to main content
Question

VM restore conversion to AWS

• 28 February 2023
  • 3 replies

We are soon to be using Commvault VSA restores to migrate VMs > EC2 in AWS

• Copy of backup data is AUX copied to S3. 
  • Media agents responsible for restore\conversion reside in AWS
  • CommServ is on-premise

I have a few question relating the restore screen options. I have been looking online for CV documentation (including cloud architecture guide) to little avail.

1.) AMI selection

1. Will auto select just randomly choose an existing AMI?
  2. The AMI is simply just base to build off of, correct? Meaning you don’t require a specific AMI build

2.) Instance type

1. I believe I read allowing Auto Select will default the restored instance to T2.small. Is this correct?

3.) Operating system

1. Although I believe it is implied, CENTOS can be converted using the Linux option, correct?

4.) Network settings 

1. If private IP is left as default (0.0.0.0) will an IP be automatically generated according to the subnets cider range?

Thanks for any assistance

Kevin, one of the first areas to be aware of is that you’ll want to look into the VM prep work as discussed on this page: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/153243_preparing_source_vm_to_convert_to_amazon_ec2.html

As for the options you called out, you can leave the AMI/Instance/Operating System selections as default and the software will automatically select the matching AWS settings compared to the source VMs. They are just leveraged to override this matching software design for say larger instances within AWS.

As for the network settings, if left default (0.0.0.0), yes, the AWS instance will look to pull a private IP from the subnet range of the defined network.

@wgrande our BOL mentions CV will attempt to automatically push drivers for HotAdd mode. Does this also occur for our recommended EBS Direct transport mode, or are we required to always manually install the drivers on all source VMs, even when our MA/VSA Proxy is an EC2 instance?

Thanks.

If you’re performing a 1-time VM conversion, I say HotAdd is the best method across the various drivers as like you mentioned the software will push accordingly. It was just a highlighted consideration to callout here 😁.