Question

VMware and Virtual Server Agent (VSA) "proxy server" install and configuration: Releasing the VSA+FS licenses as valid configuration?

• 19 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Background:

I’ve been watching videos and reading on the forums (and docs) and all of them essentially say (to install a VMware VSA (a client acting as a proxy server. And also lets assume we have other proxy servers already working, VMware backups configured, etc.. lets say we just want to add more proxies)

1. Java UI: Install a new client to be the proxy (in my case: Windows, and the VM is already built/specced)
  2. Java UI: Install these packages: Filesystem, Filesystem Core and “Virtual Server”
  3. Java UI: (less mentioned) Add the proxy server to a group or manually add it as an ‘access node” in the “VMware” server instance (or its subclients, if desired).

Seems pretty easy… but I’m seeing that all the existing “proxy servers” in my installation (that I inherited) all appear to have the packages delicensed, and no one is indicating this is a “normal step in the setup”.

An example of a few of the old proxy servers (that are actively working and acting as proxies performing VM backups) I have:

Question:

Is there any reason to release the Filesystem and Virtual Server packages/instances on a proxy server? My only guesses are to “not use up a license” or, since we’re not baking up these proxy servers, to flag them as “not backing this up”, or maybe make it easier to “ignore” these in reports, etc.

3 replies

Badge

Hi @tigger2,

Can you please check “Licensing and Registration” from control panel or check “License Summary Report” and see if any VSA license is available?

Regards,

Setareh

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @tigger2,

Can you please check “Licensing and Registration” from control panel or check “License Summary Report” and see if any VSA license is available?

Regards,

Setareh

Using the Java UI, it appears we are using 3 and have “unlimited” available. The 3 makes sense as we do have 3 instances backing up VM’s.  (not proxies, but configured VSA instances with subclients containing VM’s to back up that are using the proxies in my screenshot above)

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello,

For VSA proxy installation need to select the Virtual Server Package for VSA installation. You could also include File System / File System Core if needed. Once you click on the Virtual Server Package the VSS Provider and VSS Hardware Provider are automatically selected.

Best regards,
Nikos