Solved

What is the difference between Operating Instances and Virtual Operating Instances?

• 3 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

CommVault License Summary Report shows CommVault Complete OI Licenses. 

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 4 October 2021, 08:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Eduardo Braga 

The Commvault Complete License Guide explains:

Operating Instances

Any physical or virtual operating environment with a distinct server name or identity that has a Commvault intelligent Data Agent (iDA) configured to capture data from it.

This includes physical, cloud, or virtual machines that have active Commvault agents installed within them, as well as virtual machines protected by the Commvault virtual server agent and logical client entities such as NAS, Application-based clustering, and PaaS instances.

An Operating Instance is a unique client within the Commcell.

A Virtual Operating Instance is a unique Virtual Machine client within the Commcell.

A VM typically be protected by the Virtual Server Agent and this will record a per-VM license consumption for each VM or VOI.

However, if an iDataAgent is manually installed within the VM, this will then additionally consume an Operating Instance license.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge

@Stuart Painter I have a follow up question to this one. Let’s say I have a File System, SQL Server and Active Directory agents installed on a single client. Is that counted as 3 unique Opearting Instances or the client name is the Operating instance and the data backed up by each agent is added to calculate how many capped 500GB licenses to purchase?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @BaImani 

For Commvault Complete, the Operating Instance (OI), is the client, you are entitled to use as many different agents on that client as you need and only 1 OI will be consumed.

If you have physical OI license, then you can protect as many clients as you have OI licenses available with no limit on data volumes.

If you have a capacity license, you can protect as many clients as you like, but the application size protected is limited by the capacity license purchased.

Things can get a little complicated in a mixed license environment.

For example, if you have per Virtual Machine licencing either by Virtual Machines or by Hypervisor socket AND physical OI or capacity items, you may see unexpected license consumptions.

You may be protecting a VM with VOI or a socket license, but then if you manually install an agent inside a VM, this VM will additionally consume either a physical OI license or additional capacity for that agent.

Of course, if you use Application Aware backups, then the agent is installed by the Virtual Server backup and doesn’t consume any additional license, but not all agents are supported for App Aware.

I hope that helps, let me know if not and I’ll clarify further.

Thanks,

Stuart