Question

Commvault backup statergy for SQL Log Shipping

• 4 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Commvault backup statergy for SQL Log Shipping for customer database, not looking for commvault side replication from primary server to DR server. what is the method to backup tlog on primary server, will it effect the sql native log shipping. can we perform tlog backup also , wil it effect LSN chain since normal log shpping is happening from SQL server side when we perform T-log backup from commvault

If we use Log Shipping for the DR server we have been told this will break Comvault’s ability to backup the transaction log.  Is this correct ?  IF so does this mean we can no longer do a restore to a point in time as Comvault does not have the transaction logs.  How does this work with online backups where surely the log are required ?  If this is the case then Log Shipping is NOT fit for purpose for DR

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

As Commvault Auto Recovery for SQL uses the back-up to replicate I see your point.

At another customer site I encountered the similar situation  where native TLOG was used for creating more than one “DR” sites (support/DR purposes) 

To integrate Commvault replication this it's not possible, because of the chain that gets broken by Commvault TLOG back-up (as you stated already)

I was forced to create back-ups from the Recovery mode database that was temporarly brought online (only FULL back-ups per day are created)
This was also setup on a DR (VM) with SQL with SQL recovery based on TLOG shipping. 

You could setup this with Commvault repplication only but the application/SQL provider did not allow me to do so.

So, your conclusion seems to be correct in my opinion Unfortunately.
But maybe somebody else have a better idea.