Compliance Lock on Oracle with RMAN retention

• 13 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Commvault Certified Expert
  • 36 replies

Hi, 

We have setup a third isolated copy on CloudLib. On this copy we are also enabling Commvault Compliance Lock. 

We have Oracle backups running to our Primary Copies where we have RMAN managing the retention. As per the documented instructions we have the CV retention set to Infinite on out Oracle Plan and this works perfect as we can see the jobs aging off per the RMAN retention. 

The question/concern is what happens on the third copy if we set the retention to Infinite and enable Compliance Lock? We cannot risk locking the data with Infinit retention for obvious reasons.

Anyone out there that have experience of this? What is best practice? 

Regards,

Patrik 

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Patrik 
Choosing infinite as retention will not age the jobs copied from the primary copy and compliance lock prevents users from deleting jobs, client, backup set, subclient and also it prevents reducing retention.
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/enabling_worm_02.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Pradeep, 

The question is how Compliance Lock works with RMAN retention. For my Primary and Sencondaty copy the rentetion is set to Infinite as per CV docs instruction for letting RMAN manage the retention. 

RMAN has 14 days and 90 days retention for test resp, prod databases. The data is aged of by RMAN and not kept according to the Infinite CV retention. 

So, if my third dr-copy also has the Infinte retnetion, to let RMAN age of data, will that work with Compliance Lock enabled? 

/Patrik

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

HI @Patrik 

Since Rman is managing the aging without honoring the retention set from the storage policy.

We can refer below doc and enable the option to Honor Extended Retention and Selective Copy rules for Oracle/RAC/SAP regular Full Jobs.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/data_retention_rules_for_oracle_backups.html
Parallelly we can disable the execution of RMAN Scripts from deleting the backups.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Pradeep, 

I do not want to prevent RMAN from aging data, I want Compliance Lock to honor RMAN retention and not Plan retention. 
On this link...https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/oracle_rman_retention_policy_01.html 

...it is described how RMAN Policy is managing the retention. We are doing it like this today, and the RMAN retention is different for different Instances. All is sent to a Plan with Infinite retention. 

The jobs are aged of based on RMAN retention and not the Plan retention. 

How will data be aged of if I enable Compliance Lock om the Plan Copies?

I cannot find any dockumentation describing this scenario. 

/Patrik

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Pratik 

The compliance Lock on storage will prevent the jobs from aging at the storage level since it will be worm enabled storage and jobs will not age as per Rman retention.

Since its different retention for every Rman instances you are looking for an option to age the jobs when compliance lock is enabled.

The functionality of the compliance lock is to secure the data from being aged and deleted. As of now we don't see an option for the above scenario.

Instead you may  Disable RMAN external Pruning" setting is applied and let CV plan manage the retention for every Rman instances.

Let me know if there are any other details needed will help assist further.