Question

Skip agent backups for unreachable machines

• 25 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I have tried searching, but with search terms I keep getting looped back to topics covering snapshot backups and filters.

If a VM has an agent installed, (therefore not taking VM/Snapshot backups) but is powered off in VMWare….is there a way to have it skip backing up the machine (or do something else like fail earlier, throw an alert, or something else you might suggest)?

The issue is we have alot of machines where we are just not told to stop backing them up from the team that owns them, and just don’t want to reach out every time we see a job stuck in pending because it can’t be reached.  Trying to free up resources to research actual problems, and not mask actual connection issues.  We don’t want to manually disable machines that might be powered off for some temporary issue.

I understand snapshot backups can filter by powered off, but these are machines that have reasons to have an agent installed and can’t utilize snapshots.

running commserve v11.32.38

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

@meloyelo51 
Refer below document and use Filter option to exclude VM with power off condition.
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/subclient_properties_vm_filters.html

Badge +1

To be clear, I am not talking about VM filters.  I am already aware how to filter powered off vms from snapshot/subclient backups, and any machine we install an agent on already gets filtered so the backups don’t conflict/duplicate.    I want to know if there’s a way for an installed agent backup to detect if the machine is known to be powered off in VMware. Since it’s being fired off by a schedule group, VM filters have nothing to do with it, and want to know if there’s any way to handle it differently than say a physical server that is powered off and throws the same error just that it can’t be reached.