Question

If an application database is already configured to be backed up by an application agent, it will not be backed up using the application-aware VM group.

• 13 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

can some one please help me to understand the below point 

If an application database (oracle ,sql) is already configured to be backed up by an application agent, it will not be backed up using the application-aware VM group.

if i have application aware backup  cant  we backup it application level?

if i was taking vm backup before like  incremental in all day

and database level in hours and if am planning to change it to application aware backup how can i achieve that

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @jaleef 

You can transition from existing agent based backup towards application aware backups by implementing the following requirements:

To include virtual machines that were previously configured for application backup using an application agent such as the SQL Server agent, ensure that the following requirements are met for the application:

• For the default subclient of the application, select Virtual Server Application Snap as the snapshot engine.

• Specify the same server plan for the application subclient and the VSA subclient.

The application-aware workflow automatically makes these changes for existing application clients.

Source: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/106252_reconfiguration_for_vms_that_already_use_application_agents.html

Badge +2

yes i have seen that , so after these changes can we do seperate backup for vm and database , in different schedules ?