Solved

Recover a CSDB to a higher level version?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Commvault Certified Expert
  • 36 replies

Hi guys, 

I’m planning an upgrade and move of an Commserver version 11.20 on Windows Server 2012 R2 to a new server on Windows 2019 installed with Commserve 11.28 2022E to get the MSSQL upgraded as well. 

I will use DR Assistant Tool as I usually do and as far as I can see in docs this should work according to this statement…

“Verify that the destination CommServe host installed with the same (or higher) service pack and hotfix pack as the database that is available in the DR backup that you plan to restore.”  

Has anyone done a similar upgrade/move between versions? 

Regards,

Patrik 

icon

Best answer by Patrik 2 September 2022, 17:46

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If you want to migrate to a new server with a higher Commvault version, first upgrade the old commserve to 11.28 and then create a new DR backup which can be processed by CSrecovery on the new server.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, that is how I usually do it. In this case the current verison is 11.20 and the OS version is Windows Server 2012 R2 which is no longer in the list of supported OS for a CS.

Can 11.28 be install on 2012 R2?  

Also the current OS-installation is a bit suspect and cannot be upgraded, so we want to move to a new server with a new OS.   

If possible we want to avoid upgrading to 11.28 before moving it to the new server, and docs suggests that it is supported. As I have never done it that way I was wondering if someone else can confirm that it works or if there are issues with this approach? 

Thanks,

Patrik

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Check this

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/2801_commserve_server_system_requirements_windows.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, thanks. It still doesn’t answer the question quite :-) 

• Can 11.20 be upgrade to 11.28 on a Windows Server 2012 R2 ?
  • Can a DR Recover be performed from a 11.20 CSDB-dump to a 11.28 Commserve ?

/P

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

It should work, here are some more considerations

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/2224_commserve_upgrade_with_hardware_refresh_overview.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Hyder, 

Yes, according to the line in the HW-refresh sections it states that it can be moved to the same or higher version CS. 

We will do a test as soon as the new server is installed and a I will report back the results in this link unless someone has responded which has already done a similar upgrade. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I have now done the DR Recover from the v11.20 CSDB to a new Windows Server 2022 installed with v11.28 2022E. I used the Commserve Recovery Assistant and it updated the CSDB for us. 

It took a little more time compared to recover from the same version but everything worked fine. 

Regards,

Patrik

Hello, 

I am in the same situation and I want to upgrade the Commserve Server (windows2012) from 11.20 to 11.28 version. What steps did you follow to complete this update?
Did you keep the same Commserve name? the same IP address?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Celine, 

It is easier to reuse the same hostname and ip as you don’t have to mess with communication to all clients. It would depend on you use-case and your environment.

If the Commserve is virtual I usually setup a new vm and reuse the CS hostname. When I have done the DR backup and copied it to the new vm, I shut down the old CS and rename the new one. (may need to do exclude/include from domain if you have your Commserve in a domain). Install Commserve and use the DR Tool to recover and update the CSDB. Update happens automatically. 

If you have a vm available you can verify that it works by doing a DR recover with the vm isolated from the network. Then you can be sure that it works and how to do it once you do it on you main CS. 

Today I find it easier to set up a new server and configure CS LiveSync, as this will provide the ability to failover to the new server and keep downtime to the time of the CV Failover operation (ca 15 minutes). Drawback is that you cannot fail back to the previous version, but then again you should always have a DR backup from before the change if something fails :-) 

Good Luck,

Patrik     

Badge

Please see below article

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/commserve_hardware_refresh_setting_up_commserve_database_in_new_hardware.html