Question

Retention Lock on MRR Storage Best Practice

• 15 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I’m deploying MRR storage and planning to enable immutability via the “Enable Retention Lock” workflow at the storage pool level, I’m keen to know anyone’s experience with this because once it’s enabled it’s not reversible.

Typically, when using Retention Lock on a policy copy, we wouldn’t use extended retention on a copy and have the basic retention set to the requirement e.g.:

• One Selective Copy for Monthly backups with the required basic retention
  • Another Selective Copy for the yearlies with the required retention
  • Both Selective Copies would be pointing to the MRR storage pool with WORM enabled as a dependant copy in the storage pool via the workflow.

Is this the best way to setup MRR with immutability?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is some additional guidance in the cloud architecture guides regarding configuring retention with de-duplication which I think would be useful:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/assets/pdf/public-cloud-architecture-guide-for-microsoft-azure11-25.pdf - page 30

Azure Immutable Storage (WORM)

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

There is some additional guidance in the cloud architecture guides regarding configuring retention with de-duplication which I think would be useful:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/assets/pdf/public-cloud-architecture-guide-for-microsoft-azure11-25.pdf - page 30

Azure Immutable Storage (WORM)

Thanks Damian,

With MRR Cool there isn’t the ability to set retention lock on the bucket so just enabling WORM on the policy copies does the job, there’s also not the requirement to seal & re-baseline every x period of time.

I was thinking of setting up one Storage Pool for MRR and just having dependent copies with different base retentions for monthly & yearlys.

Badge +1

Hi guys,

So if I’m understanding this properly, since we cannot use WORM and/or Compliance Lock  with azure blob storage and O365 backup ! if we use MRR with O365 backup we will get immutability ?