Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

I am a Solution Architect and Integrator, and I have recently been tasked with migrating our CommVault infrastructure to IaaS virtual machines on Azure. Currently, our environment consists of a CommServe installed on a Windows Server 2016 virtual machine, with a Media Agent and a proxy server each on separate Windows Server 2016 machines. My goal is to migrate the entire solution to Windows Server 2022 virtual machines on Azure, followed by upgrading the CommVault software from 11.28.117 to the last version.

It’s important to note that I was not involved in the initial installation or configuration of this CommVault solution. My mandate includes the migration, optimization for the cloud, and maximizing cost efficiency.

We are hesitant about exporting the CommVault database from our On-Premise environment and importing it into the new IaaS CommServe, mainly due to the cloud-specific security requirements that are not currently implemented on the On-Premise server. This would also require a significant amount of cleanup and adjustments to backup policies and client configurations.

As a result, we have decided to start fresh with new IaaS machines for CommServe, Media Agent, and Proxy, and to add the new clients (Windows, Linux virtual machines, SQL databases, Office 365) manually or automatically.

Here is my main question: since all lab and production machines will be moved from On-Premise to Azure Cloud, what is the best method to reintegrate the client agents (the virtual machines being moved) into the new CommServe on Azure (the new Windows machine)?

Is there a discovery service for bulk client addition? These clients will already have the CommVault agent installed, but since this is a new CommServe, should I uninstall the agents in bulk before migrating and then reintegrate them into the new CommServe? Or, is there a script available for bulk uninstalling the old agents and reinstalling the new ones via a script for the new CommServe?

In summary, I’m looking for the best approach to minimize the impact on operational teams and avoid repetitive manual tasks.

I welcome any suggestions and advice, and feel free to ask questions if needed.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I know you’ve said you don’t want to export the CSDB.

But really your best option is to run through the Hardware Refresh documentation;

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/commserve_hardware_refresh_overview.html

Otherwise you will be looking at reinstalling all clients again and starting plans/schedules/backups from afresh

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your prompt response. You are probably right. The time I would spend reconfiguring and reinstalling all the clients would be time saved if I migrated the CSDB to a new Azure virtual machine. I will try this method.

Thank you also for sharing the link. I am currently analyzing the best option between "Hardware uses a different IP and Host Name for the CommServe host" and "Hardware using a floating CommServe name or hardware uses the same IP and Host Name for the CommServe host." In my situation, since I will be on a Windows Azure machine, the IP address will be different from the On-Premise CommServe. However, I am not yet sure if I will keep the same CommServe client name. If I choose a new machine name and a new IP address for the CommServe server, would the solution be to use a floating IP?

Thank you,

Have a good day !

The CS Client Name will always be the same, what may change is the FQDN of the machine (hostname), I am sure you were referring to this, but rather clarify it.

I would personally always use the option “Hardware uses a different IP and Host Name for the CommServe host: Install the CommServe software, and then restore the database” - The end goal will be the same, but it allows you more granularity.

When defining using a floating name, all it means is having a CNAME within your DNS server pointing to the A Record or Ip of the CS, nad your clients using that CNAME instead of the actual DNS A Record for the CS.

Once the CS is up and running again in Azure, you should be able to run a Name Change operation to update the CS Hostname on all Clients (the new CS must be able to reach the clients to achieve this) and make sure they can communicate back to the CS if there has been a Hostname or IP change

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/changing_commserve_host_name_on_client.html

Hello Javier,

I'm back from vacation today. Thank you for your help and your reply. Indeed, I should follow your recommendations. 

I will add it to my architecture documents and evaluate it in the Azure lab environment.

Thank you and I'll come back to you to clarify other key points of this migration. 

Have a nice day!