Solved

Assign multiple media to dedicated media group

• 9 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge +5

Dear Team,

We have around 20 LTO9 tapes available to take backup weekly and monthly secondary copy. Now I need to assign each media to dedicated media group once loaded into the tape library not for manually move.

I gone through commvault documents says that we have an options to create Barcode patterns with the media to assign automatically to the particular media pool or media group.

My questions, we have Weekly and Monthly media pool and AFK001L9, AFK002L9, AFK003L9, AFK004L9, AFK005L9. I need to assign AFK001L9, AFK002L9 media to Weekly pool and AFK003L9, AFK004L9, AFK005L9 medias to Monthly pool.

Barcode pattern name and Barcode pattern option????

Could you please help to fix the issue. Thanks.

Regards,

ManiD

icon

Best answer by mapple 13 February 2024, 17:47

View original

10 replies

Badge +3

@Nikhil Gupta can you pls help here?

Badge +3

@ManiD can you also please take a look at this doc link and see if it helps?

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/media_management_configuration_barcode_patterns.html

Badge +1

Barcode Pattern Name is just a friendly name.  If I understand correctly, you can achieve this by creating two BC Patterns, each with their own barcode range.  Then each media pool will point to the appropriate BC Pattern.

Badge +1

Using your barcodes as an example:

Badge +1

Dear @mapple,

I have created two barcode pattern 1.Weekly pool and 2.DR Backup Copy pool and assigned for two  media for each. Also I am able to discover the the barcode pattern name in the weekly pool and DR Backup Copy pool, assigned but still assigned media is not available int the media pool. attached screenshot as below and please advice.

Regards,

ManiD

Badge +1

Hi Mani,  Please give this a try if you are looking to move pre-discovered media.   Enable this setting, the Reset tape library.

Badge +5

Dear @mapple, Thanks for the update. 

I don't have barcodes in sequential order, they are random, like ABC022L9, ABC027L9, ABC035L9, and ABC040L9. How should I specify this in the barcode pattern option? example in contains ABC022L9,ABC027L9,.. etc (, comma ; semicolon space). Which is easiest options.

Regards,

ManiD

Badge +1

Hi ManiD,

Only one pattern can be defined (“Contains”), no delimeter can be used to string others.  Cannot pick and chooce media for fields, they have to share some value within the series.  You can manually do via Media → All Tasks -→ Move. 

Badge +5

@mapple , Thanks for the update.

I have tried with range between ABC022L9 and ABC023L9 and assigned to FS weekly media group but after inserting the media int to the tape library and not moving automatically in the assigned media group.

Now we have moved manually.

Kindly advice how to configure barcode pattern. if such sicario. Thanks.

Regards,

ManiD

Badge +5

@mapple, Thanks for your support and barcode pattern working fine as per the configuration.