Solved

AWS S3 - Dash copy between buckets and promote copy?

• 20 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi, 

I could not find anywhere that adressed this, so asking here. I read that the only way to “migrate data” between storage classes would be as documented. 

However, can this be done? 

• I have a Hyperscale as a Primary Copy
  • I have an existing AWS S3 Standard bucket as a Dash Copy with Deduplication. 
  • I want to create another Dash Copy to an AWS S3-IA Bucket with Deduplication. 
  • I want to promote that copy to be the secondary copy and get rid of the existing bucket.
  • Effectively, this seems like migrating the data just as good as going through the process described with the Cloud Tool. 
  • Am I wrong? Can this be done?  
icon

Best answer by Donnie D 21 February 2023, 16:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Donnie D,

I can’t tell if you just want to change the storage class going forward, or if you also want to copy the data from the old bucket to the new bucket as well since your post skips the copy and goes straight to promoting the new copy to secondary.

If its just a case of new data going forward goes to S3-IA, then you can  change the class on the mount path and Commvault will write it as S3-IA. The storage class is fluid and Commvault can override whatever default was selected during bucket creation.

If you want to ‘move’ and preserve the S3 data to S3-IA then you can auxcopy the data from the old S3 bucket to the new one - but you’d want to deploy a media agent in the cloud to do that so you don’t incur egress charges and pull data down from S3 only to re-upload to S3-IA.

Badge +1

Hey @Donnie D,

I can’t tell if you just want to change the storage class going forward, or if you also want to copy the data from the old bucket to the new bucket as well since your post skips the copy and goes straight to promoting the new copy to secondary.

If its just a case of new data going forward goes to S3-IA, then you can  change the class on the mount path and Commvault will write it as S3-IA. The storage class is fluid and Commvault can override whatever default was selected during bucket creation.

If you want to ‘move’ and preserve the S3 data to S3-IA then you can auxcopy the data from the old S3 bucket to the new one - but you’d want to deploy a media agent in the cloud to do that so you don’t incur egress charges and pull data down from S3 only to re-upload to S3-IA.

The last paragraph is exactly what I was looking for, move and preserve the S3 data - and that is the answer. I am assuming once I dash copy to the new bucket in the storage policy copy, I can then promote it and get rid of the old bucket. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The last paragraph is exactly what I was looking for, move and preserve the S3 data - and that is the answer. I am assuming once I dash copy to the new bucket in the storage policy copy, I can then promote it and get rid of the old bucket. 

Yes once you promote the new copy you can delete the old one once you verified everything has copied over, and decommission the old bucket