Skip to main content

Hi all,
can someone advice howto proceed with a snap copy in case of loss of the associated datapaths ?

In former releases it has been possible to simply create a snapcopy associated with multiple datapaths and set it to use the default path and only alternate paths, if the default path is offline, to store the snap meta data.

This was even possible, using non-dedup pools.

Now I create a plan, that automatically uses the same (dedup) pool for the snap meta data as for the primary copy.

This cannot be changed any longer. 

if the primary pool goes offline, I’m no longer able to create intellisnap backups, due to missing options to store the meta data.
I can use the JavaGUI (not CommandCenter), to promote my secondary copy to primary and continue with sreaming backups, but IntelliSnap backups are no longer possible, because the snap primary is not available and cannot be changed.

I’m also not allowed to delete the snap primary using the CommandCenter and create a new one, pointing to a non dedup pool (that could be configred as described above).

Introducing additional data paths to another storage system for the dedup pool is not an option, because this would lead to efective backup data being written to it (primary copy).

kind regards
Klaus

Hello @johanningk 

Thanks for the great questions and details. 

This does seem to be a functionality issue in the Command Center as everything you want to do can be achieved in the Java console. 

I have asked the question to the products team and i will keep you posted if there is any plans to add these functions to plans. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Good morning @Albert Williams,

Thanks for the response, but since the data paths for the Snap Primary have been forcibly and automatically been created using the same Storage Pool as the Primary, this cannot be changed using the JavaGUI as well.

Only Option (which I did not try) might be, to delete the Snap Primary before the first backup, using the JavaGUI right after it has been created by the Plan, and create a new Snap Primary, using a non-dedup pool, with the JavaGUI.

Also the attributes regarding round-robin usage or preferred path cannot be set using Command Center.

best regards
Klaus

Hello @johanningk 

I have confirmed that you can create and edit the Datapath on snap copy in plans as of FR36 and above.

Can you advise when version of CV you are running?

Kind regards

Albert Williams

great news @Albert Williams ,

currently I’m running Commvaultt 2023E (11.32.56).

Not sure when to upgrade, since the required/used features are currently available in 11.32.
Current 2023E release is now getting somehow stable and I’d like to wait at least 3 more months before upgrading to the next LTS

best regards
Klaus