Solved

Catalog jobs from a cloud storage object

• 20 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to catalog jobs from a bucket within a cloud storage library, like below:

The tool offers only a Tape or a Disk as a Media. How do we retrieve our DR backups from a Cloud storage in case we lose everything in order to perform a Disaster Recovery.

I found the link below, however it doesn’t show how to retrieve the DR DB.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/43588_retrieving_disaster_recovery_dr_backups_from_cloud_storage_using_cloud_test_tool.html

I’ve also found the below note:

Does this mean that if deduplication is enabled, there is no way to retrieve the DR DB?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards

icon

Best answer by Adel BOUKHATEM 1 August 2022, 11:02

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Commvault strongly recommends against deduplicating DR backups.  Deduplicating DR backups can lead to serious issues if you need to recover data.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Good afternoon.  Commvault strongly recommends against deduplicating DR backups.  Deduplicating DR backups can lead to serious issues if you need to recover data.

Hi Orazan,

Is there any way to disable the Dedup secondary copies of the DR storage policies ?

In my case, I checked with one of the copies of the DR storage policy, and as you can see in the screenshot below, the “Enable Deduplication” option is enabled and is greyd-out.

Kind regards.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Orazan ,

to avoid the issue described by @Commvault Engineer , we created a new standard pool (no deduplicated) but using the same cloud library for our DR backup aux copy.

In my case now, the DR DB is not deduplicated anymore. However, my cloud library still have deduplicated data from regular backups. Is there any issue with that?

What do you recommend, please?

Best Regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You can use the more recent DR backups that are non-deduplicated in a DR situation.  The old data will not be of issue, it will just age off as they should.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Guys,

Do you have any idea concerning my first question, please? Thanks a lot for your usual help.

Best Regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi guys,

So I came back concerning my question. We opened a ticket with Commvault support, and it looks like there is no tool to catalog jobs on a Cloud Library.

If you want to get your DR DB in case of a disaster, you need to:

• Upload backup metadata to your cloud library (Configuration → DR Backup)
  • Use “CloudStorageExplorer” in order to browse your bucket/CloudLibrary from your MediaAgent: You’ll find in the root a folder named “DR” that contains the exported DR backups.
  • Using “CloudTestTool” you can download the exported DR Backups.

The support engineer talked about a txt file named “DrVolumeList “, which is created in the cloud library that lists the volumes you would need to recover in the event of a disaster. However, I didn’t dig further.

In case a get more information about it, I’ll post it here.

Best Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate that, @Adel BOUKHATEM !