Solved

Creation of a deduplication database partition on a Linux Media Agent with encrypted disk encrypted fails

• 15 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi Community

I hope someone can help with below issue.

I am trying to create a ddb partition on a Linux media agent with encrypted disk.

While creating the partition I get the error like when the 10% free is not available.

It looks like the labelling process is not handling the encrypted volume name well. Is this a known issue and is there a workaround for this?

IdxLabelUtil::main() - Started with parameters: [-op checkminvgspace -ict 2 -dst /ddb/psql_prod_ddb_p1 -cn xxxxxxxxxxx -vm Instance001]
IdxLabelUtil::main() - Performing operation: [CHECKMINVGSPACE].
IdxLabelUtil::ProcessMinVGSpace() - Checking Free Extents for DDB Snap Capability for path[/ddb/psql_prod_ddb_p1].
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - User given path = /ddb/psql_prod_ddb_p1
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - Parent = /ddb
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - Mount Point found[/ddb] for path[/ddb/psql_prod_ddb_p1].
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - Device found[/dev/mapper/ee29651c-6473-4902-8011-bc00ebe3b612].
CvProcess::system() - dmsetup --noheadings splitname ee29651c-6473-4902-8011-bc00ebe3b612 LVM
Cvcl::init() - CVCL: Running in FIPS Mode
CvProcess::system() - Command completed with rc=0
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - parsing vg-name and lv-name using [ee29651c:6473:4902]
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - vg name [ee29651c] lv name [6473]
CvProcess::system() - vgdisplay --units k ee29651c | /bin/grep "Free" | awk '{print $5}'
CvProcess::system() - Command completed with rc=0
IdxLabelUtil::checkMinVGSpace() - command [vgdisplay --units k ee29651c | /bin/grep "Free" | awk '{print $5}'] failed
IdxLabelUtil::ProcessMinVGSpace() - Failed to check free extents for DDB Snap at location[/ddb/psql_prod_ddb_p1], percent[10].
IdxLabelUtil::main() - Exiting process with return code: [587207412].

lsblk output
/etc/fstab entry

icon

Best answer by Scott Moseman 15 February 2024, 16:20

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I’m thinking we may not support the DDB on an encrypted partition, but so far I cannot find any documentation to confirm either way.  Can you open a TR?

It appears the script runs vgdisplay against the encrypted device name instead of the actual volume group name.  I think this results in the command not working.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +2

Hi Scott

We have several other DDBs on encrypted partitions, these were however encrypted after the DDBs were created as a policy that was implemented by the customer to have all Linux data partitions encrypted.

I was hoping there is a way to bypass the check for free space, perhaps additional setting or something 😊

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Check your Private Messages.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Run the command manually and see what the issue is:

vgdisplay --units k ee29651c | /bin/grep "Free" | awk '{print $5}'

Badge +2

Hi Damian

The command fails because the name is invalid.

The name gets extracted from /dev/mapper/ and then gets split. So if you run the command it won’t work.

Instead, VG_data-LV_ddb should have been used to get the VG and LV which would have resulted in “VG_data” and “LV_ddb”

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

In my lab, I created an encrypted VG using a much simpler name (no dashes).  The vgdisplay command did not work against the encrypted name.  It would only work with the actual VG name.  The parsing is an issue here, but the real issue is we’re trying to run vgdisplay against the wrong entity.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Confirmed: Encrypted volumes are not supported for hosting DDB.

Thanks,
Scott